Broody Hen Hatch with Yolk Sac Problems

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shesell, Jun 12, 2011.

1. shesell

shesell Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Deland, FL
    Have a broody hen who has hatched three chicks so far. This story is kind of sad and gross, so I think a warning is in order. The first one evidently died after an unabsorbed yolk sac burst. I found it after it had died and ants were eating the yolk. The second chick is doing really well with no issues at all. The third one also has a small, unabsorbed yolk sac that ants were all over. After I relocated the hen, unhatched eggs and the chicks, I cleaned out the entire coop, sprayed the area with ant killer, let it dry and then sprayed outside the coop as well and re-littered inside. Then I took the poor baby, gently washed the yolk sac area and applied some antibiotic cream. So far, he seems a little better and I am so happy about that. I just feel so guilty about the ants. I have never had a problem with them before. Anyway, why would two out of three be born with unabsorbed yolks? This is the first time I have had broody hens so I have a lot to learn, but somehow I thought the natural way would be, well, easier. I've read other posts about the unabsorbed yolk sac and I guess, sometimes they live and sometimes they don't, but, two out of three chicks seems like pretty bad odds. Is there something I could have done to prevent this? I didn't intervene in any way. Thanks for your help.

2. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    hmm... that usually happens when the temperature is too high, but that's only in incubators. i doubt the temperature could get too high under a broody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by