broody hen hatching question

the chicks are supposed to hatch friday. i'm down to three eggs, and i hope they all hatch!

i'll try and keep you guys updated if you want.

i also heard somewhere that hens will be fine eating chick food instead of layer food,is this true?

JUst to add, my 10 hens have never been on layer food (they eat high protein all purpose pellets and gamebird starter with oyster shell on the side)-- and were laying like gang busters 8 or 9 or 10 eggs a day--- and they are Jersey Giants not known for great egg production-- now I have 2 broody mamas and its been 100 degreees for a few weeeks I am down to 6 eggs daily from 8 laying hens....
(and I like the fact that the new chicks can eat the above no problem, I dont have to seperate anything out...)
Your chicks look fine to me--- I cant wait for mine to grow up ....

i switched them all to all-purpose feed because the guy at the feed store said it would be good for the chicks and hens. the chicks are nine weeks old now. i'm glad that this whole hatch worked out!

okay, the stupid hen went broody AGAIN two days ago and i need to know how to break her broody. ive been taking her off the nest every time im out there,but she still gets back on about an hour later. ive also tried putting her on the perch at night and shell stay, but shell just get back on in the morning.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom