Broody hen hatching questions

Raptorsgocluck

Chirping
Apr 20, 2019
NC, USA
C3A1665B-7B53-4223-8FC1-3C598061F3EC.jpeg
So my Colombian Wyandotte went broody on 6 hopefully fertile eggs. I have zero experience with a broody and would like some advice on a successful hatch. So first off... Is the nesting box (the white/yellow containers in the top right side). Are those too high up (about 3 feet off the ground)? Should I relocate her and the eggs to my other unused coop? Should the nest box be on ground level? The food and waterers are on the other side of the yard, should I put ones close to the coop for her? How soon can I candle the eggs to see if they are growing? Any way to tell if the eggs are in fact fertile? I have a million other questions but those can wait until the chicks are closer to hatching. Any advice on the whole process is greatly appreciated.

I'll try to answer some of these questions for you
The containers are at a good height, though I recommend when your chicks hatch that you relocate them so they don't fall out.
It really depends what rank she is in the pecking order, if she's picked at constantly, yes, relocate. But if she's decently high, she'll protect those eggs with her life and the other hens won't mess with her.
Eggs are very fragile the first week so you should wait patiently for day 7-10. The only way to tell if an egg is fertile is to crack it open and look for something like this-
egg.jpg

hope I cleared up some things for ya! I wish you luck:wee

Last edited:
I'll try to answer some of these questions for you
The containers are at a good height, though I recommend when your chicks hatch that you relocate them so they don't fall out.
It really depends what rank she is in the pecking order, if she's picked at constantly, yes, relocate. But if she's decently high, she'll protect those eggs with her life and the other hens won't mess with her.
Eggs are very fragile the first week so you should wait patiently for day 7-10. The only way to tell if and egg is fertile is to crack it open and look for something like this-View attachment 1778355
hope I cleared up some thing for ya! I wish you luck:wee
That helps a great deal thank you! I have 6 Colombian wyandotte's and I have no idea which one is which, but 4 of them are at the top of the order so hopefully she is one of the 4. For the past 4 months almost every egg I eat is fertile so there is a good chance these are. My only concern is I sold my last roo and got a new one about a week ago (same day exchange) What are the chances that the eggs layed yesterday are the new roosters? Or is it just a toss up?

That helps a great deal thank you! I have 6 Colombian wyandotte's and I have no idea which one is which, but 4 of them are at the top of the order so hopefully she is one of the 4. For the past 4 months almost every egg I eat is fertile so there is a good chance these are. My only concern is I sold my last roo and got a new one about a week ago (same day exchange) What are the chances that the eggs layed yesterday are the new roosters? Or is it just a toss up?

it'll probably be a mixture of both, I believe the majority of the eggs will probably be fertilized by your old rooster. It takes around 8-9 days after a hen has been mated for her eggs to become fertile and your new rooster was just added a week ago

it'll probably be a mixture of both, I believe the majority of the eggs will probably be fertilized by your old rooster. It takes around 8-9 days after a hen has been mated for her eggs to become fertile and your new rooster was just added a week ago
Good to know thank you! I will candle the eggs in 10 days and hopefully have some babies growing :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom