*urgent* Egg bound- stomach split open

Hey BYC - Happy Memorial Weekend!
Quick update and couple questions.

- Henny is on day 3 of anti and proper wound care.
- no maggots since Wednesday night
- pooping and eating fine.

Attached: updated wound photo.

? looks like healing is good do you think?
? Gave er 15 min supervised recess to dirt bathe and see her sis. This ok? I gave her a soak and treatment right after.

You guys here on forum are incredible- rallying together to help save a hen for an internet stranger.(and it’s working!!)
Thank you guys so much! - Josh

Attachments

• IMG_7645.jpeg
    IMG_7645.jpeg
    479.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7639.jpeg
    IMG_7639.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7641.jpeg
    IMG_7641.jpeg
    479.4 KB · Views: 29
Hey BYC - Happy Memorial Weekend!
Quick update and couple questions.

- Henny is on day 3 of anti and proper wound care.
- no maggots since Wednesday night
- pooping and eating fine.

Attached: updated wound photo.

? looks like healing is good do you think?
? Gave er 15 min supervised recess to dirt bathe and see her sis. This ok? I gave her a soak and treatment right after.

You guys here on forum are incredible- rallying together to help save a hen for an internet stranger.(and it’s working!!)
Thank you guys so much! - Josh
Aw that’s so great to see! I think it’s a good sign to see her wanting to do chicken things with her sisters and it’s probably good for her mind, too. Good signs that she’s active and wanting to eat, also. I had a wounded hen dirt bathe and had no issues with infection, but it was a much, much smaller wound than your hens. Typically probably best to keep her out of the dirt if possible, but hopefully someone else can give you a better answer on that. I think the wound looks better myself. What is her name by the way? Henny? Wonderful update, thank you for letting us know and keep at it.

Soak her for as long as you can in warm Epsom salt bath with lavender oil 20 drops until you get that all cleaned out the maggots are inside you need get that cleaned out doesn't sound good sorry for you make sure you blow dry her feathers on medium hair dryers are too hot you must move the dryer back and forth constantly or it could burn her hold her in a dry towel while your drying All of the stuff needs to be unblocked and clean asap

Aw that’s so great to see! I think it’s a good sign to see her wanting to do chicken things with her sisters and it’s probably good for her mind, too. Good signs that she’s active and wanting to eat, also. I had a wounded hen dirt bathe and had no issues with infection, but it was a much, much smaller wound than your hens. Typically probably best to keep her out of the dirt if possible, but hopefully someone else can give you a better answer on that. I think the wound looks better myself. What is her name by the way? Henny? Wonderful update, thank you for letting us know and keep at it.
Thanks for the quick reply you’ve also been a ton of help @alinas2010! -

Neither girl had names until Henny pulled through the other day!

Hennessy is her new name and my daughter named the sister Felicia haha?!
Felicia and Henny Hodge 💪🏼
Thanks again Forum!

Soak her for as long as you can in warm Epsom salt bath with lavender oil 20 drops until you get that all cleaned out the maggots are inside you need get that cleaned out doesn't sound good sorry for you make sure you blow dry her feathers on medium hair dryers are too hot you must move the dryer back and forth constantly or it could burn her hold her in a dry towel while your drying All of the stuff needs to be unblocked and clean asap
I haven’t tried lavender yet- I’ll try that tonight. Hoping I got all the maggots found 7 total since Wednesday. 4 in her skin and 3 in the baths- none for 36 hours now
Thank you very much for the advice! - Josh

Thanks for the quick reply you’ve also been a ton of help @alinas2010! -

Neither girl had names until Henny pulled through the other day!

Hennessy is her new name and my daughter named the sister Felicia haha?!
Felicia and Henny Hodge 💪🏼
Thanks again Forum!
Of course :) I’m rooting for Henny. Her sister will need her to pull through this since it’s just the two of them.

Back
Top Bottom