*urgent* Egg bound- stomach split open

The calcium plus d3 will be in the human vitamin section of most grocery stores. Just pop the pill in her mouth whole, she should have no problem taking it. Sorry if you already know this, just want to give as much info as possible.

Also I just saw you are new here, welcome to BYC. I am sorry it is under these circumstances. We will help you anyway we can, tho.
Thank you! I did as you said and fed her calcium- and she has had 3 Epsom baths today. Posted additional pics in this thread and unsure what to try next?

thank you for the welcome too :)

If she is still eating and drinking you may have a chance to save her. From your pictures it looks like her vent does not have a prolapse hanging out. When was the last time she laid an egg and what else makes you think she is egg bound? Also how old is she? She may be behaving as she is due to the nature of her injury on her abdomen, especially if you’ve found maggots on it.

With her wound, please keep her inside, separated from the others and safe from flies. Keep doing an epsom salt bath and cleanings a few times a day. After you clean the wound slather it in neosporin (the kind with no pain reliever in it). You’ll want to keep the wound moist as you can at all times using the ointment.

Thank you! I did as you said and fed her calcium- and she has had 3 Epsom baths today. Posted additional pics in this thread and unsure what to try next?

Hi Josh, this is the first time I’m responding to someone in the BYC forum.
We had a girl on deaths door, very obviously trying to push out a stuck egg. We did everything that’s been suggested here without effect. Then my best friend who happens to be a vet told me a trick a farmer client had admitting to using- take a small plastic syringe and fill it with a solution of half lube (such as KY), half water. Tuck the tip just inside her vent and deposit the smallest amount. If it doesn’t work after a short period, introduce a little more liquid. This has saved two of our hens when nothing else would. I hope she improves.
We lost one to egg binding this morning😢. I feel very bad as she was brooding on some eggs and as a result, I didn’t even notice she was in any distress. Good luck🍀

If she is still eating and drinking you may have a chance to save her. From your pictures it looks like her vent does not have a prolapse hanging out. When was the last time she laid an egg and what else makes you think she is egg bound? Also how old is she? She may be behaving as she is due to the nature of her injury on her abdomen, especially if you’ve found maggots on it.

With her wound, please keep her inside, separated from the others and safe from flies. Keep doing an epsom salt bath and cleanings a few times a day. After you clean the wound slather it in neosporin (the kind with no pain reliever in it). You’ll want to keep the wound moist as you can at all times using the ointment.
Hello- she hasn’t laid in almost a week. She is a few years but regular layer. I don’t see a prolapse either, maybe it’s pushing out the stomach?
For 3 days been lethargic and tail pointing down. Discovered the wound yesterday.

Is there a way for me to tell if she’s bound? I am worried about inserting my finger and rupturing her skin farther?
I am trying what @2roosters recommended right now but am unsure if she is bound or just injured.

Thanks again BYC team

You've gotten pretty good advice so far.

She's had enough soaks at this point. Further soaking will only cause more stress. Treating the stress and shock would be wise. Give her one cup water with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda mixed in. Dip her beak to get her started drinking. If you have Poultry Nutri-drench squirt a little into the sugar water solution.

If you can put a little pressure around her vent to try to work some of the poop clog out, it would help. If you have Bag Balm, you can massage it into her split abdomen and around the outside of the vent to prevent further tearing. Do not stick your finger up her butt except to try to pull out poop that is blocking the cloaca (the inside of the vent).

Her wound appears to be infected. This might be causing her to fail although a stuck egg is a possibility, as well. If you have any people antibiotics on hand you may be able to use them on this hen.

Hello- she hasn’t laid in almost a week. She is a few years but regular layer. I don’t see a prolapse either, maybe it’s pushing out the stomach?
For 3 days been lethargic and tail pointing down. Discovered the wound yesterday.

Is there a way for me to tell if she’s bound? I am worried about inserting my finger and rupturing her skin farther?
I am trying what @2roosters recommended right now but am unsure if she is bound or just injured.

Thanks again BYC team
So usually if she goes about 48 hours from the beginning of being egg bound, and doesn’t pass an egg she will die. If that time frame passes and she is still alive, I would start investigating other reasons for her behavior. Some waddle like penguins when egg bound, and sometimes you can gently palpate the abdomen and feel an egg, (I wouldn’t in your hens case, since she has a wound there.) However, the position and behavior you’re explaining can also point to other issues besides egg binding. I understand completely that it can be hard to tell what is going on, I’ve been there, too. Based on the extent of her injury, I am wondering if that is what is causing her to behave as such. I don’t think it would be abnormal for her not to lay while she is injured like she is.

So usually if she goes about 48 hours from the beginning of being egg bound, and doesn’t pass an egg she will die. If that time frame passes and she is still alive, I would start investigating other reasons for her behavior. Some waddle like penguins when egg bound, and sometimes you can gently palpate the abdomen and feel an egg, (I wouldn’t in your hens case, since she has a wound there.) However, the position and behavior you’re explaining can also point to other issues besides egg binding. I understand completely that it can be hard to tell what is going on, I’ve been there, too. Based on the extent of her injury, I am wondering if that is what is causing her to behave as such. I don’t think it would be abnormal for her not to lay while she is injured like she is.
Great thank you for this reply I started thinking the same.

We have her inside now using neosporin and vetercyn spray for wound care.
Do you know if I can use human amoxicillin or any other anti for her? Tractor supply here does not have antibiotic.
Thank you!

Great thank you for this reply I started thinking the same.

We have her inside now using neosporin and vetercyn spray for wound care.
Do you know if I can use human amoxicillin or any other anti for her? Tractor supply here does not have antibiotic.
Thank you!
You absolutely can, as well as other human prescription antibiotics, but I do not know enough about them to recommend one. @azygous had some helpful information for you, I’m hoping she (I think she, someone please correct me if I am wrong), or someone else can provide dosage and assess the need for one. What do you have on hand antibiotic wise?

Back
Top Bottom