Broody Hen, I think?

If done properly, I've never heard of a case where it doesn't work.
Is the cage elevated so cool air gets under the hen 24/7?
In summer sometimes it is necessary to point a fan under it but this time of year it isn't necessary.

Last edited:
During the day, it helps to keep the broody and her cage in the middle of the busiest flock activity. That helps tone down the broody hormones. Be sure you haven't given her anything in the cage to snuggle into. Any solid surface or material will reflect the broody's body heat back to her and perpetuate the hormones. If it's not too cold, a fan helps the process by further cooling her down. You don't want to chill her, though.

Yes it is elevated, inside the coop, away from nesting boxes with food and water inside of it for her. It will be 72 hours this evening.
I'd let her out this evening and hour or so before roosting time, see what she does.
I often let my broodies out daily, but I have time to monitor and get them back into the crate if they head back to the nest.

I let her out for a little while and at first she seemed to be over it, she clucked around the run, eating and chatting it up with the others. But within 10 minutes she was running into the coop and got to a nesting box before I could catch her. She is back in jail and let me know she isn't happy about it. So here we are, again.

I let her out for a little while and at first she seemed to be over it, she clucked around the run, eating and chatting it up with the others. But within 10 minutes she was running into the coop and got to a nesting box before I could catch her. She is back in jail and let me know she isn't happy about it. So here we are, again.
How long had she been broody before you put her in the crate?
Any way you can keep the crate out in the run during the day?

I think it had been close to a week before I realized what was going on. We can’t put the crate in the run right now because we are getting heavy rain here every day and forecast to for the next several days and Our run doesnt have a solid roof. Most of the other girls are up under the coop for rain protection

I took pics of the set up this morning. The milk crates are on the corners to keep the crate from tilting when she moves around.
Goldie 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom