Broody hen in winter getting attacked

May 27, 2019
Smithville, MO
I have a broody hen that is sitting on eggs in the coop. Every time she comes out to eat or drink she is attacked by the older hens. The eggs are due to hatch this weekend. I’m afraid if I move her out of the coop into the barn for the first few weeks to stay warm she and her chicks will have a hard time being accepted back. I’m also afraid if I leave her in the coop her chicks will be targeted by those same hens. What do I do? How do you separate your hen and chicks in the coop? Help

I have a broody hen that is sitting on eggs in the coop. Every time she comes out to eat or drink she is attacked by the older hens. The eggs are due to hatch this weekend. I’m afraid if I move her out of the coop into the barn for the first few weeks to stay warm she and her chicks will have a hard time being accepted back. I’m also afraid if I leave her in the coop her chicks will be targeted by those same hens. What do I do? How do you separate your hen and chicks in the coop? Help
String some chicken wire across and make a spot. She will live on ground for a few weeks. No roost needed. After a few days see how she does supervised among flock.

Back
Top Bottom