Broody hen in winter!

She doesn't even need the sweater you have her in, honestly. Chickens are basically wearing a down coat 24/7 that keeps them nice and toasty warm. No supplemental heat is necessary. She will be the chicks' heat source. If you feel like the other girls are going to bother her a bunch and you have the space in the coop, you can try moving her to a pet carrier or dog crate. That way nobody can bother her, but she's still a part of the flock. Make sure she gets off the nest at least once a day.

I've got a first time broody hen due to hatch chicks on Thursday. I'm in Ireland so similar weather to UK. When I candled at the weekend after that cold snap had passed (-5C the previous night) and they were moving fine. She's only got wood shavings in the nest. I won't know until later in the week though if she's been sucessful, and then shes got to keep them warm.

I'm going to get some eggs and just see how it goes then, COME ON MOTHER NATURE! :D by the end of the week she will be on some eggs! Yeah my coop is plenty big enough it's 6 by 8 so I will section of an area for her tomorrow! How eggisting!!

Provide her and the chicks with a dry , draft free environment, and they should do fine. 'Winter' chicks tend to feather out very rapidly. Good luck.

I've got a first time broody hen due to hatch chicks on Thursday. I'm in Ireland so similar weather to UK. When I candled at the weekend after that cold snap had passed (-5C the previous night) and they were moving fine. She's only got wood shavings in the nest. I won't know until later in the week though if she's been sucessful, and then shes got to keep them warm.

I'm going to get some eggs and just see how it goes then, COME ON MOTHER NATURE! :D by the end of the week she will be on some eggs! Yeah my coop is plenty big enough it's 6 by 8 so I will section of an area for her tomorrow! How eggisting!!

Good luck the two of with you ur clutches (im in ireland too up donegal!!)

Well, my girl has hatched 4 out of 10 and 3 more pipped, even with that cold weather. She's been outside in a plastic covered cat litter box in a covered part of the run and all seems fine. If I were you I'd be setting some eggs!

Well, my girl has hatched 4 out of 10 and 3 more pipped, even with that cold weather. She's been outside in a plastic covered cat litter box in a covered part of the run and all seems fine. If I were you I'd be setting some eggs!

I'm sooo excited to get some eggs under her! Any suggestions on breeds? at the moment I think I'm going to get some silkie eggs off of eBay but I also need some inspiration of colours and all sorts, so any suggestion are very much welcomed!

P.s I love pictures everyone ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom