Broody hen in winter!

backyardjack

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 25, 2014
England
A long story short! (well shorter). On the 25th of July last year I went to a little village country show and saw a hen WITH SIX DAY OLD CHICKS!! But I managed to walk away saying to myself that if they were still there in the cold and wet tomorrow I would take them home! The next day came and there they were, still there in the freezing wet tent :(! I made a promise to them and my self so I took them home!
wee.gif
Here they are looking a lot happier then when I first got them, around two weeks old!

After getting them home and doing a little research I found out that she (Martha) is a Goldtop hen. This is a hybrid between a gold/buff Silkie cockerel and a Light Sussex hen these are crossed for the broodiness of Silkie but the hard feathers and large size on the Light Sussex making them the ultimate broody hen (Just thought I would let you know as I don't think they are a common occurrence in the us
smile.png
).

Well anyway that''s not the point of the story, she has now decided to go broody in the middle of winter
barnie.gif
but also
celebrate.gif
and I am torn on what to do! Do you have any pointers on having a broody in winter? and any ideas on how many eggs see could sit on comfortably and all stuff like that? Although I've incubated and raised chicks before I've never had a broody so any help will be muchly appreciated!!

Sorry for rambling so in thanks for reading all of that you can enjoy this picture of Martha wearing her jumper in the freezing temps we have at the moment!
big_smile.png
Also when she does do her thing does anybody want to join in?

Last edited:
Nahh getting eggs wont be a problem at all really! Will 0 Degrees Celsius be too low? Also how many eggs do you put under your smaller broodies? And will wood shavings be good enough for her to set in?

1. People here in the states have hens go broody and hatch chicks in the middle of winter, often in temps well below freezing.
2. About 4 to 6, depending on the size of the eggs and the size of the hen.
3. Wood shavings are just fine.

1. People here in the states have hens go broody and hatch chicks in the middle of winter, often in temps well below freezing. 
2. About 4 to 6, depending on the size of the eggs and the size of the hen.
3. Wood shavings are just fine.

Thank you very much looks like mission broody is a go!

I'm aware that I probably sound stupid fretting over our temperatures but do you think she will need a heat supliment or anything? And should I separate her before or after the chicks hatch (she is at the bottom of the hierarchy)? And how often should I get her off of her next to do her business, eat and drink? Sorry for all the questions!! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom