Broody Hen, Infertile Eggs, Rotten Eggs?

LionsFarmstead

Hatching
Aug 21, 2023
We have a Red Jungle Fowl, broody, sitting on eggs. Will infertile eggs rot? Not too excited to start cracking 1 to 2 week old eggs just to check. Thank you!

I'm slightly confused. How long has she been sitting? On what week are her eggs? You don't need to crack eggs open to see if they're viable, that would defeat the point. You can candle them, which means bringing a light source really close to the egg to see if there's any development. If you're doing it during the day, you might have to find a dark corner to candle them, or candle them under a dark colored shirt

We have a Red Jungle Fowl, broody, sitting on eggs. Will infertile eggs rot? Not too excited to start cracking 1 to 2 week old eggs just to check. Thank you!
You can candle them to see if there is development and give them a sniff, you will definitely be able to smell if it is rotten

Thank you for all of the relplies already! wow. an active group!
I will clarify.
The eggs are infertile. There is no roo with the girls. So, Will non fertile eggs rot from a broody hen sitting on them?
thank you again. Tried to look this up online and through the group and did not seem to find an answer.

Thank you for all of the relplies already! wow. an active group!
I will clarify.
The eggs are infertile. There is no roo with the girls. So, Will non fertile eggs rot from a broody hen sitting on them?
thank you again. Tried to look this up online and through the group and did not seem to find an answer.
You should take the eggs away and break her broodiness. They could explode, or she could waste away sitting on eggs that are never going to hatch. Being broody takes a lot out of a hen.

Back
Top Bottom