Broody hen killing baby chicks

Hang on, in a couple of posts above you wrote you killed hens that killed their chicks so how do you know if the killer gene whatever gets transfered to the offspring?

None of this is helping the OP and not worth the discussion. We all do for our Birds as we see fit. It's a forum and OP decides what to do..:frow
I Cull sick birds without much hesitation to save them.
Momma problem was a first time Broody and if stressed they will kill Chicks. She probably will be excellent next hatch..
I think the OP has already made the decision so I can't see any problem with the debate as long as it's polite and friendly.

Hang on, in a couple of posts above you wrote you killed hens that killed their chicks so how do you know if the killer gene whatever gets transfered to the offspring?
I caught her killing the chicks. I stood there watching her hatch the rest for hours. As soon as they started peeping I took them away. When she was done hatching what was left I took them away. I didn’t just stand by to let her kill them all?
Once the chicks started peeping is when the hen would start pecking their eyes and head.

None of this is helping the OP and not worth the discussion. We all do for our Birds as we see fit. It's a forum and OP decides what to do..:frow
I Cull sick birds without much hesitation to save them.
Momma problem was a first time Broody and if stressed they will kill Chicks. She probably will be excellent next hatch..
Thank you for your expertise.

I caught her killing the chicks. I stood there watching her hatch the rest for hours. As soon as they started peeping I took them away. When she was done hatching what was left I took them away. I didn’t just stand by to let her kill them all?
Once the chicks started peeping is when the hen would start pecking their eyes and head.
Oh right. I understand now.:)

Oh right. I understand now.:)
I took these eggs and chicks away from a hen I caught last year. She already killed one and you can see how red the back is on the one chick. I caught her pecking that chick like crazy for no reason. She was in a coop by herself with no interruptions.
9B2C8AF7-050E-4622-A1CE-EE77247FAF9D.jpeg

Interesting discussion. There are SO many variables with every hen and every hatch that I find it fascinating that so many opinions are so black and white. I honestly think that every situation has to be looked at individually and decisions are based on that very individual group of circumstances. In this case I would have done as the OP and tried to save any remaining hatching chicks. I can't imagine killing viable chicks, the point of hatching them was to have them, generally. I can imagine killing non viable chicks or seriously injured or deformed chicks. I probably wouldn't kill a hen that did this, but I wouldn't let her sit again either unless I was well prepared to intervene if necessary. If it happened a second time I would never let her hatch again. I also understand that philosophically people have different views on what is acceptable in keeping animals in general, so one more variable to every situation.
To @Aboddy2u , best of luck with the rest of them, I hope the majority survive and do well.

I took these eggs and chicks away from a hen I caught last year. She already killed one and you can see how red the back is on the one chick. I caught her pecking that chick like crazy for no reason. She was in a coop by herself with no interruptions.
View attachment 1826794
Did the one with the pecked back make it and was she normal; whatever that is in the chicken world?

Back
Top Bottom