Broody Hen - Multiple stage eggs - Questions?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by turtle1173, Jun 1, 2010.

1. turtle1173

turtle1173 Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    Hi all,

I have a Bantam Buff Brahma hen who is broody. When she started, there were 4 or 5 eggs. There's been over 10 now for a couple weeks. She's really struggled to keep all the eggs covered but another one of the hens has been helping. My question is: What happens when the first chicks hatch and the other ones still have a few days left? Will she abandon the nest or stick around? How long will she stay on the nest before leaving with the hatchlings?

Thanks,
    Shane
    SE Missouri

2. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I see this here all the time, i'll find a nest in the old barn with a couple hens and never know how long they have been setting, what i do is check for chicks in the morning and evening and if any have hatched, i pull them. they continue to set as a matter a fact my banties won't get off the nest even if the chicks start hatching so if i leave them they are going to die.

It is best to mark the eggs when you find a nest and pull the new eggs so mabe she will get off the nest when the hatch is done, , i left the last chicks hatched but they continued to sit on the nest with the chicks even though there were no more eggs left to hatch. i removed the nest and hens and they now have 4 chicks between them, i want them to raise the chicks because if they don't they will just sit and sit and sit.

Hope this helps ease your mind enjoy your bitties [​IMG]

3. turtle1173

turtle1173 Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    I'm hoping to get to see the banties raise some chicks. That might not be the case, though, if it works out like you said. I've got one chick out today and another partially (last time I checked a couple hours ago).

Thanks for the input!

Shane

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by