Broody Hen, Need Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kitty Cat, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    Okay so I've had this hen for 3 or 4 years. I've let her sit around 8 times. Each time she hatches out chicks she ends up killing them and I have to take whatever one's hatch and rear them myself. The last batch she hatched out she smashed, and I mean smashed flatter than a pancake, one of the little chicks. I wanted to eat her right then but Mom wouldn't let. Anyway, she gets broody pretty much every month. She's driving me crazy!!! I've tried putting her in a wire cage with no hay just food and water, it takes about 2 weeks and she's no longer broody but then about 3 weeks latter she's broody again. I have Marek's in my flock right now so I don't want any chicks hatching out, plus we have way too many chickens already, well Mom thinks so, I don't. Mom doesn't really want to sell her and neither do I I'd rather eat her, but not an option. Does anyone know of a way to permanently get her un-broody. I've tried scaring her, sicking my dog on her, throwing her in a cage, hanging her upside down for a few minutes. Nothing has worked so far?? Help??

Problem solved, free hen to good home. Yay! She's gone!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]:woot

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. Fowl_Odor002

Fowl_Odor002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Mostly Here
    I had one of my hens go broody on me. New hampshire red. All I did was visit her on a daily and remove the eggs she was sitting on. In about 1 week, she was over it. I Did not have to resort to drastic measures such as having my rat terriers chase her around my backyard or anything like that.

I would say send her off to freezer camp or to the landfill. Unless she is a super egg layer, what's the point of having her around and eat your chicken feed?
    I would freezer camp her.

Religious Remark ---> Even god culls, ever heard of Noah's ark?

3. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    Lol! I wish I could, but Mom refuses to let me kill her.

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Really, this hen doesn't sound like a keeper. She's neither good as a layer since she's so frequently stopping to brood, nor as a broody since her mothering instincts seem lacking. If she were mine I would get rid of her some how (sell, give, eat, bury) and replace her with a better hen. I don't think you're going to change her ways, and some of the methods you mentioned don't sound kind.

Let Mom have the responsibility of caring for her. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by