Broody hen, need some beginner help

lxlzbaca

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 31, 2010
New Mexico
We have 5 hens that are 13 months old. I am pretty sure 1 of them is broody. So, I need some basic beginner help. I would like to get some eggs to have her sit on and yes I know they should be fertile ;). How many should I get? Do I just slip them under her? Do I move her or leave her and then move her once they start hatching? Any other advice would be appreciated.

A good amount would be 3-9 (depending how big your chicken is) You can slip them under her at night, that's what I do. You can let her be when they hatch.

Also, make sure she has a full water and food source, most of the time broodies come out 1-3 times a day, and if they miss their food and water, it's not good.

Thanks! She is a Buff Orpington and pretty big. I am thinking I may go buy 6 eggs tomorrow. I have searched and I think I found most of the info that I need. Our coop has 5 hens with 3 nest boxes in the hen house. If she does hatch some chicks can I leave them in there with the other hens or do I need to take them out? Last year we bought a Silkie and they killed her. I now know that I shouldn't have bought a smaller hen and not only 1. So will the chicks be ok in there?

Momma hen should make everyone else leave her babies alone. The older hens might peck a "get out of my way" peck, but no chasing or serious injury. I like to leave everyone together so there's not problems introducing the babies later.

A dual purpose hen can easily fit 8 eggs.

What do you plan to do with the roosters you hatch out?

Well, I'm not quite sure yet. We are almost at coop capacity right now. So either my hubby builds another coop, which is unlikely, or we give all the chicks away, but keep 1 rooster. My parents have been talking about getting chickens, so this may be their push.

Back
Top Bottom