Broody hen on nest for 9 weeks today

Biddieacres

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Our broody won't quit. Is this bad for her? She is very thin and could she be getting sick from sitting all this time? This may be a silly question but where are those eggs she would normally be laying?

I kept trying to discourage her and have been taking eggs out from under her for weeks. Nothing was working. I tried locking her out of the henhouse all day but she would pace at the door and run in and sit on the nest. Finally, I let her sit on one egg because the hen who laid it was killed and thought it would be nice to have her hatch it out. (hope it is fertile egg)

Has anyone else ever had a hen sit this long???? Silly girl.

Last edited:
They won't lay if they are broody, and yes, it is bad for her. You need to try and break her, one way or another. Either put her in a small area with nothing that looks remotely like a nest, or get a couple of day old chicks. Hens can and will die from brooding too long.

This is her second time around since spring. She sat for 4 weeks, took a break to raise her chicks and now sitting for 9 weeks.

now I am a little nervous. The egg she is on is due to hatch any day.

Hopefully it does. Might be a good idea to see if anyone in your area has day-olds, just in case it doesn't. She won't mind having more than one if the egg she has does hatch.

I can understand your worry. I am having trouble with one of my girls. One I just gave in and got some eggs for, the other I am still having trouble with. Feeding her treats by hand, I have been trying for what seems like an eternity to get her to leave the nest. Now the others pick on her when I put her out in the yard because she has been broody so long they haven't seen her in a while. I am thinking of giving in and giving her a week old chick at night.

I had a single hatch in June. The chick was fine, just seemed to stay glued to mom's side for an excessive length of time. Mama doesn't show them the door quite as fast when they are "only" children!

Seems like this time of year it is hard to come by day olds around here. I know of one more farm I might pull in tomorrow and ask. Thank you.

Quote:
Post in the BST forum, we BYCers are hatching fools! I'm sure there is someone in your area with chicks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom