Broody hen having a hard time walking after laying on eggs in a split

LDemps0504

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2023
1st time with a broody hen. My broody hen has been sitting on a clutch of eggs - 2 babies have now hatched. We noticed she would lay on the eggs this whole time in a split, or with her legs splayed out. I thought maybe this is normal? She hasn't gotten up and I noticed she was pooping all over herself so I scooped her up and moved her. She immediately pooped green gross smelling poop and could hardly walk. I imagine because she's been sitting in a split for weeks now. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this? I'm going to try and get her up daily and keep her from laying in a split if I can. Any other advice would be great! TIA

My broody Buff Orpingtom was similar, but not quite as bad. I watched her shuffling herself in a splits-like position often. When she would get up she would fumble around a bit until she got the bloodflow back to her legs (or so it seemed). She's broody again, (only 4 days in) but as of yet I haven't seen her take up the splits yet. I'm interested in hearing any input from more experienced chicken keepers though.

My broody Buff Orpingtom was similar, but not quite as bad. I watched her shuffling herself in a splits-like position often. When she would get up she would fumble around a bit until she got the bloodflow back to her legs (or so it seemed). She's broody again, (only 4 days in) but as of yet I haven't seen her take up the splits yet. I'm interested in hearing any input from more experienced chicken keepers though.
Thank you for commenting! It seems to help to take her out and make her move around, otherwise I think she would've just not moved :(

Thank you for commenting! It seems to help to take her out and make her move around, otherwise I think she would've just not moved :(
Broody brain is intense sometimes! My speckled sussex was broody last month, and she didn't move for days. I took her out and put her down and she just pancaked where I put her. I couldn't get her to move but about day 5 she just came out once a day or so on her own. Funny little creatures!

How many more does she have under her? stop taking her off and let nature work its course. She will figure it out, let her hwtch rest of her babies. U could potentially make her smush eggs moving back into place if they are hatching..

And i dont mean that rude but shes a new mom. They need to stay putt… human interference will hurt more than help in this stage. Im etellin u this from experience, ive had broodies / watch hatch over 200… new moms if u dsiturb them they will mess up a hatch chick quick and suffocate it

Back
Top Bottom