Broody Hen, Others not laying

Jakechickendaddy

Hatching
Nov 19, 2018
Hello, I hope someone can help me with this.

Our 8 month old jersey giant has been laying for two months, and two weeks ago, she went broody. I was so confused at her behavior due to her age, and that she's been laying on a consistent basis. We also have a white cochin who has been laying consistently. I read that I should break her from being broody, because it might be detrimental to her health at her age. I removed her from the box, and closed off the main nesting box for 3 days, and opened it back up. She hasn't gone back to the box to lay yet (it's been a week), and neither has the cochin. Could this be weather related? (right now it's 20 degrees), or did I mess up my chickens for a while?

My chickens are about 6 months old. I did have one chicken laying an egg a day.
Now I have no chickens laying an egg and I look for eggs on sale at Grocery store.:lau

:confused: I assume the very short day light hours and cold. I don't mind, I went for spring.

Hello, I hope someone can help me with this.

Our 8 month old jersey giant has been laying for two months, and two weeks ago, she went broody. I was so confused at her behavior due to her age, and that she's been laying on a consistent basis. We also have a white cochin who has been laying consistently. I read that I should break her from being broody, because it might be detrimental to her health at her age. I removed her from the box, and closed off the main nesting box for 3 days, and opened it back up. She hasn't gone back to the box to lay yet (it's been a week), and neither has the cochin. Could this be weather related? (right now it's 20 degrees), or did I mess up my chickens for a while?
Combo of post broody and maybe short days....it can take them a week or two to get back to laying after being broody....only time will tell.

Regarding the cochin not laying either... being denied access to the nests, might she be laying somewhere else, do you free range?

We used to free range until a hawk almost got our other jersey giant. They have a decent size run, and when we do get a chance to free range them, they don't go to far from the coup anymore.

Combo of post broody and maybe short days....it can take them a week or two to get back to laying after being broody....only time will tell.

Regarding the cochin not laying either... being denied access to the nests, might she be laying somewhere else, do you free range?

Back
Top Bottom