Broody Hen Plucking Feathers

Scooter&Suzie

Songster
9 Years
Jun 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
My poor silkie has been broody for a little more than a month now - Today she has plucked all of her feathers under her, or at least it looked that way. I'm worried she will kill herself in the cold - She is not going to hatch any eggs, but none the less she is broody. Will she soon stop being broody? She already hatched a batch of eggs I bought for her, but after she had laid for a little she went broody again... I'm really worried for her health! Should I buy her some chicks or something... I have friends who have quail eggs I could buy next Sunday, probably. She is really gentle and could probably hatch them. I'm afraid she will deprive her body of things it needs. Any input? Or am I worrying over nothing?

you can get anti peck spray this will discourage her she is probably a little stressed i would advise some fertile eggs for her as she may not move to eat or drink and will eventually die makesure she is well fed and hydrated

I made sure she isn't sitting on any more eggs. I might try to have her hatch some coturnix quail eggs, since I have been wanting them for almost a year, anyway. I am making sure I move her several times so she might as well eat and maybe she will stop being broody.
fl.gif

yeah silkies are well known for broodiness id either give her a few day old chicks to raise or makesure eggs are collected as you said, she may still sit a empty nest in this case id phisicaly move her regularly

if she was my hen id let her sit eggs or get a few day olds to put under her its only fair she mothers but if you do not want to do this then just remove eggs and makesure she is well nurished
good luck keep us informed

Back
Top Bottom