Broody Hen problem

rockgirl365

Chirping
Aug 2, 2020
Ravenna, MI
Hello all. I only have two hens (no roosters) and one of them has gone broody for the past three days. She is not even a year old. I got her last fall as a pullet with her sister. Their names are Bloom and Poncho. Bloom has gone broody. Bloom has been in the nesting box instead of foraging, drinking, and eating. I take her out of the nesting box only to find her go right back in. She won't roost at night night next to Poncho anymore (because she still in the nesting box). I don't want to stop egg production but I do need Bloom to get out of this obsession so she can eat, drink, and forage again. Help please. Thanks.

Broody jail: Put her in an isolation cage with some food and water, in sight of the others (in the coop if it's not too hot or in/near the run is ideal). A wire cage elevated to air flow under her would be the best option, however I've used everything from a brooder to a dog exercise pen.

Keep her in the cage around the clock for about 2 days. At that time, if she's shows fewer signs of broodiness (puffing up, flattening down and growling, tik tik tik noise) you can let her out to test her. If she runs back to the nest at any point (usually they don't do it immediately, but maybe after 15 minutes, maybe an hour) then she's not yet sufficiently broken and needs to go back to the cage for another 24 hours. Then let her out and test her again. Repeat until she's no longer going to the nest box.

IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.

What @rosemarythyme said......here's a pic.
1610985826629.png

I live in Michigan where there's snow this time of year. I don't have a coop big enough to put a dog crate in and my sheds don't have space either. Would it be bad to leave her locked up in a dog crate outside with food and water for a few days?

I had two broody hens that wouldn’t get of the nest , but I just took them out of the cook and shut the door now their fine . Broody jail is a bit harsh or me, but is sometimes necessary.
That only works if you don't have other birds laying and needing the nests.

Back
Top Bottom