Broody Hen problem

If you're going to have the crate in the run, I'd only have her out during the day (at night, put her directly on the roost, or move the crate into a shed or garage) and I'd see if you can offer some draft protection by perhaps loosely covering a couple of the sides (any facing into prevailing winds) with cardboard, an old towel, etc. Don't want to cover it up completely so she can still see the other birds and still has good ventilation. Being out in the cold by itself isn't an issue but being unable to take shelter from winds/sleet could be.

So do you guys recommend that I get a dog cage and put her in it with food and water (possibly a stick for roosting on at night) and then covering like the top and two sides of the cage with a thick tarp and keeping her inside the cage in the run?

I'm getting a dog crate from my sister tomorrow. Then I will buy a cover to cover at least part of it. For now I'm blocking the coop door and forcing them both to be outside until the sun goes down

I'm getting a dog crate from my sister tomorrow. Then I will buy a cover to cover at least part of it. For now I'm blocking the coop door and forcing them both to be outside until the sun goes down
Is the other one laying?

Doesn't look like they have any shelter out in the run?

So today I did this. I hope it helps. I'm going to clean it out every day and just put a blockade in the coop door while cleaning out the cage. Then stick her back in. I just tucked both of them in for the night (I ran out to check on them and close the run) and I saw Poncho outside the cage on the roost and Bloom trying to sit on invisible eggs in the cage. Ugh. I'm doing the best I can. Hopefully she'll be back to normal soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20210122_170651308.jpg
    IMG_20210122_170651308.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 11
Thought I would give an update on my broody hen who is still broody 😒. I can't seem to break it. I kept her in jail for 2 days (in a cage in the coop) and put her on the roost sometimes at night. I also let her outside after a few days and she tries to sit in the ground. she'll always go right to the nesting box within 45 minutes. I wonder if I should distract her more? Give her more treats? It's just really hard to distract her because it's winter time.

Thought I would give an update on my broody hen who is still broody 😒. I can't seem to break it. I kept her in jail for 2 days (in a cage in the coop) and put her on the roost sometimes at night. I also let her outside after a few days and she tries to sit in the ground. she'll always go right to the nesting box within 45 minutes. I wonder if I should distract her more? Give her more treats? It's just really hard to distract her because it's winter time.

2 days isn't very long at all, 3 days would be considered average if you catch them early.

You also need to stop letting her out, completely. Until she stops showing broody behavior she stays in the cage - no she shouldn't even be on the roost at night since the cage is in the coop. All letting her out does is extend out how long this will take.

2 days isn't very long at all, 3 days would be considered average if you catch them early.

You also need to stop letting her out, completely. Until she stops showing broody behavior she stays in the cage - no she shouldn't even be on the roost at night since the cage is in the coop. All letting her out does is extend out how long this will take.
but even when she's in the cage she will still try and sit on invisible eggs. She doesn't stand up in the cage she sits down in the cage

Having a broody when you aren't interested in hatching is very frustrating 🙃
Don't know if you have the time, but during summer I collected my broody in the morning and carried her around for a while then collected eggs from other two hens once they had laid, and closed up the coop for the day, putting my broody in the run with others again.
Also gave them loads of distractions: straw bale to dig through and spread, dug a big hole in run & left them to spread the mound, moved things around in the run, added more perches/places to explore/hide.
Yeah, bit harder in cold weather though.

Good luck with the broody jail. I have one ready here for spring/summer if needed too. Hope it works for you!

Back
Top Bottom