1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by _sonshine_, Nov 4, 2009.

1. _sonshine_

_sonshine_ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    I have a broody hen and if sucsessful she will have some babies next week! How long does a momma hen raise her babies? I dont want the other hens to pick on the babies and kill them even.? IDK this is our first broody thanks for the help. [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have a mama with week old chicks, and all are living together with the rest of a flock of about 20, including 2 roos. They get along just fine. The mama chases other hens away from the chicks at times, but leaves the roos alone, and I think the roos are protecting the chicks. I had another broody who raised 2 sets of chicks like this; she mothered the chicks for 4 or 5 weeks. I have read that 3 weeks is the usual, but it does vary from hen to hen.

3. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

i saw the momma raise till 3-4 weeks only here, then the chicks must survive themselves.

don't worry, the momma will take care of predator (if she still can handle it) and other chicken try to attack the babies, some breed have cruel instinct and will give no mercy to the attacker of her babies. [​IMG] but make sure to keep an eye since not all momma hen is good.

4. Rock Wyandotte

Rock Wyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Newbury, Vermont
    I've had two different Barred Rocks stay with their chicks for 10 weeks. I didn't know if that was normal or what, but that's what my experience has been. They live with 18 other chickens and no harm has come to anyone of them.

5. _sonshine_

Mar 16, 2009
    ahhh oh well she abandon her nest...w/ only 5-6 days left [​IMG] I fired up the bator but it could be too late IDK the eggs were stone cold. My broody hen seem ill.....all she wants to do is sleep and her but is very cakey w/ poo, I can go right up to her and pick her up (they usually run from me) I have her separated incase she is sick I dont want her to get the others sick. IDK what to do for her [​IMG]

6. _sonshine_

Mar 16, 2009
    Yikes! My broody hen is dead! [​IMG]

7. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Oh, I am so sorry for your loss.

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. Do you have any idea what happened--heavy worm load or...? [​IMG] That is so sad, I hope some of her eggs hatch out for you.

9. alwayswantedchicks

alwayswantedchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2009
    SW VA
    I've been reading and reading all the posts about broody's sitting and hatching. I've got a broody that's been sitting on eggs for 18 days. Yesterday I cleaned out the broody pen (4x8) really good and put fresh straw in it with a great nest box. I fixed the warming lamp with a regular light bulb (60 watt i think) and fixed some good food and fresh water just a few feet from the nest box. I wouldn't have minded sitting in there. Cookie had been in the laying nest box since she went broody. So we waited till dark and picked her up easily. We moved her and the eggs to the broody pen. She walked around a bit, checking things out, ate and drank some, then settled back down on the eggs. We went back down a little while later to check on her, all was fine. This morning I checked on her again about 9am and she was off her eggs. I reached in to put some more food in her dish and reached over to feel the eggs. They were cold! While I had the door open, she got out. I left the door open hoping she will go back to her eggs. Should I give it up or will she come back? Will the eggs be any good? Should I put the lamp on them close enough to warm them?

Also, I'm so sorry about the loss of your hen. We recently lost our first hen. She choked on pizza crust the daughter gave her. It hurts. I hope your others are ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by