Broody Hen Question

pattyjean73

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
NW Arkansas
I have a broody hen, so I let the other hens lay eggs around her for five days. She's collected the eggs (15) and is in a hard set with them. I marked the eggs last night so that I can start collecting the fresh eggs. I've not had a hen set before so is this the way it's done? Will she still stay on the nest until all five days of eggs will hatch (assuming they hatch) or will she come off the next when the first few chicks hatch?

Also, She is in the coop with all the other hens (and rooster). Does she need to be moved so that her and her chicks will be by themselves when the eggs hatch or will her and the chicks be fine in with the rest of the flock?

She will come off the nest when she feels it is time to take the chicks out to learn to eat, etc.
Sometimes all the life eggs will have hatched and sometimes not. By setting them under her all at once as you did, you have the best chance that all the viable eggs will hatch.

People do it both ways. Hens have been hatching and raising chicks in with the flock for thousands of years, although usually they sneak off and set on a hidden nest, then take the chicks to the flock when they are a few days old. She should have good instincts for protecting her chicks from any hens that might decide to attack her chicks (the roosters usuall don't, and may even help with the chicks.) I prefer to separate the broody while she is setting, then turn them in with the flock when the chicks hatch and are up and around, but I have done it both ways with pretty good success. I would encourage you to let the chicks grow up as paart of the flock so that there is never the problem of integrating them when the broody stops being a mother to them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/guide-to-letting-broody-hens-hatch-and-raise-chicks

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/693407/broody-bird-what-to-do/0_20#post_9400530

In my experience, staggered hatches can be a problem. She will most likely leave the nest within 24 to 36 hours after the first chick hatches. If you remove the chicks as they hatch she may continue to set - they can be returned to her once the hatch is over. Generally it is best to collect a clutch of eggs and then give them all to her at the same time. Given enough space in the coop and a not overly aggressive flock, most hens can successfully raise their chicks in a flock situation. If possible try to arrange things so that the other hens do not have access to her during the brooding process. Frequently another hen trying to lay in the nest can result in fighting/jostling and cracked or broken eggs. Good luck on a successful hatch.

Back
Top Bottom