Broody hen sat in wrong nest on day 18 or 19.

lizhejerry84

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2020
I have a broody hen was hatching smoothly for almost 18-19 days.
Yesterday I put a “fence” over the nest box just in case future young chicks falling to ground (18inch up). Today I got home and found the broody hen was sitting in the other box!
I believe the egg was there without mom for about 5-6 hours.
Cause I have trouble to move mom back to original box, so I moved all the eggs to new box.
I searched around regarding chilled egg on day 18 or 19. I found Mixed answer and I don’t know my disturbing of moving egg will cause any issues,
Thanks and any comments will be appreciated!

Sometimes it turns out ok, sometimes not. May I ask the temperature of where you are? I had some eggs get down to 60 degrees in an incubator once for about 4 hourscand had some still hatch.

Sometimes it turns out ok, sometimes not. May I ask the temperature of where you are? I had some eggs get down to 60 degrees in an incubator once for about 4 hourscand had some still hatch.
Thank you for the reply. It is kind lucky the temp around is about 75-80F outside.
I just counted the days, it is on 18-20. My another concern is moving during “lock down” period.

Thank you for the reply. It is kind lucky the temp around is about 75-80F outside.
I just counted the days, it is on 18-20. My another concern is moving during “lock down” period.
It’s kind of a wait-and-see thing at this point. Can you by chance candle them? Lockdown isn’t a thing for hens. They will do the same things on the lockdown period as they would on day 9.

It’s kind of a wait-and-see thing at this point. Can you by chance candle them? Lockdown isn’t a thing for hens. They will do the same things on the lockdown period as they would on day 9.
Thank you.
I know there is nothing to do, however, just feel so bad cause it is so close to the hatch day. We will see in a week.

An update here, it is on day 22, we gradually have chicks coming out, yesterday we have 3 chicks, we will see the last 4 in about 2 days. Mama really knows what to do.

Back
Top Bottom