Broody hen. Should I let her hatch?

mmharmon

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 7, 2014
Indiana
I have a broody hen. I am wondering if I should let her try to hatch? I have free ranged 57 chickens from about 2 weeks of age each. So, right now, I have 5 layers, 17 about to start laying and 35 who will be laying by Christmas. They all seem to get along okay. They free range all day and I out them in the coop at night just for safety. So, if I do let her hatch, I would want it to be natural, no incubators and all that. Thoughts? Advice? Please!

Michelle

If you let her set you'll loose eggs for about 4-5 weeks. If you let her set, you'll have chicks. The only thing I find is once you let one go broody, they'll be others that'll follow suite. I evict mine from the nesting area for 3 or 4 days, after I pick up eggs. I lock em out and get their mind right. Good Luck!
thumbsup.gif

I have a broody hen. I am wondering if I should let her try to hatch? I have free ranged 57 chickens from about 2 weeks of age each. So, right now, I have 5 layers, 17 about to start laying and 35 who will be laying by Christmas. They all seem to get along okay. They free range all day and I out them in the coop at night just for safety. So, if I do let her hatch, I would want it to be natural, no incubators and all that. Thoughts? Advice? Please!

Michelle
If you want to let her stay broody and hatch little fuzzy butts (how exciting!), here's more information for you:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/search?q=broody+hatch

Wishing you all the best, and do keep us updated for sure!
frow.gif

Update:

I did let my broody hatch, but she hatched four duck eggs for me! We gave her 12 and 4 hatched! I think that is pretty good for her first time. And she was a very good mama to the ducklings. Super adorable! They hatched on November 15 and, now, they are bigger than she is!

Michelle

Back
Top Bottom