Broody hen sitting on fake eggs for too long

Yardmom

Chirping
May 3, 2018
Waterford, PA
Chickens often sit until the eggs hatch, not until 3 weeks has gone by. Hopefully just removing the eggs will break her. Do you have other chickens? All you need to do is pick eggs so she doesn't have anything to sit on. A broody hen is only a problem if you can't pick the eggs fast enough.

rosemarythyme

Free Ranging
Jul 3, 2016
Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
At this point I'd definitely put her in a broody breaker and expect it to take longer than usual as she's sat for quite a while. Ideally you want to not only separate her from her nest but also allow cooler air to circulate under her to cool her belly off. A small wire dog crate with some food and water sitting up on something to elevate it would be ideal.

In the future if you do not want a broody to hatch out, it's best to break them immediately so their body condition doesn't suffer. She's also on the young side for being a mother, even if you wanted her to hatch.

Talka

In the Brooder
May 5, 2019
Update:
I waited till night time and then took her box away and put her with the rest of the flock. She was stubborn and tried coming back several times, and even stayed there all night, but I didn't leave her a place to sit in and eventually she cooled down.
This morning she was much better and a few hours later she went back to her old self. She ate and sunbathed and now she's perching with the others. I'm so relieved!
Thank you so much for your help, everyone!

Last edited:

Talka

In the Brooder
May 5, 2019
Why doesn't she have a coop?
Is this the only chicken you have?
We have "stray" chickens in the neighborhood who decided to take over my yard. Chia was abandoned when she was too young to fend for herself so I took her in; the rest stick around because of the food.
She sleeps outside on trees with the rest of the flock and occasionally comes inside for treats and some petting. I'm not sure what will happen in the winter (which got seriously delayed here).

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I'm not sure what will happen in the winter (which got seriously delayed here).
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-11-21_10-17-41.png

Top Bottom