Broody hen sitting on fake eggs for too long

Talka

Chirping
May 5, 2019
I have a 6 month old hen who laid her first batch of eggs in a box I prepared for her. Since I don't want any more chickens, I took all the eggs and replaced them with fake ones. She's been sitting on them for a little more than 3 weeks. I thought that after 3 weeks she will get up if nothing comes out of them, but I was mistaken. With every day that goes buy she's getting more aggressive, and I think that today she's been feeling ill - she wouldn't eat, she pooped in her nesting box (and kept sitting there) and her waddle and comb lost their red vibrant color.
What do I do now? if I take the box away, will she go back to normal?

"Broody Jail" = Wire cage, remove the tray, put 1 x 2 wire on the base, food & water, suspend so air circulates for about 3+ days. If you're not hatching, it's best to break them of the "broodiness" ... I used to try removing & let them break on their own until I read & saw how it affects their health. One of mine ended up loosing so much weight in a very short time, then their immunity is compromised. BJ works sooner the better..

Make it impossible for her to get to her nest site and check her for mites. Frequently setting hens develop severe mite infestations.
Can I simply remove the box? She doesn't have a coop, I just put a cardboard box with some hay in it, on a plastic shelf.

If you search Broody Breaker on here you can find lots of good advice on the subject. Some girls will brood eggs long enough to become ill, and potentially die if you don't break them. Has she been leaving the nest to eat and drink before now?
She's been eating and drinking up until today. Today she would only drink water.
Since she does not have a coop, do you think I can just remove the nesting box?

Back
Top Bottom