Broody Hen Switching Nest Boxes Daily?

@ChickenCanoe You're probably right! I didn't read the cage advice until yesterday, not Saturday. If I had read it Saturday I would have done that. I'll get her to break her broodiness. I'm as determined as she is. I gave her a good looking over when I took her off the nest yesterday and she was in much better condition than I was expecting so I'll stick with the current plan and use the cage method after T-day if needed.

I don't view this process as a hassle, but rather a learning experience. Surely she will not be the only hen I have that will go broody at some point. Again, I do appreciate all the input and advice. The good news is she is eating and drinking and walking around when not allowed access to the boxes so another day or two of trying to break her with a different approach is not going to be the end of her.

Learning experience it is and it's good to learn.
I've been through what you're going through. Even after growing up with broody jails, I resisted but it really is easier than continually pulling them off the nest. I had even put ice cubes in the nest. When I'd lock them out of the coop, they'd just plop down on the ground, thereby keeping their underbody warm.
I just don't have the time or patience to not use the most expeditious methods.

Update: I'm happy to report that I was able to break her broody behavior by taking her off the nest during the day and at night. Last night I went to lock them in and she was up on the roost bar! Also yesterday, she was mingling much more with the flock while out ranging. I'll keep an eye on her and see if she starts hanging out in the boxes too much but for now I think I've won!

Chickens are never barnyard valedictorians, and some just don't get it. In an environment where hens pick their OWN nest site they bond to that site. In most of our generic coop/nest set ups there is not enough difference between nest boxes for them to differentiate. This is why it is generally best to move a broody hen (when you want to hatch chicks) to her own environment where she can't screw things up.

It is also a very good idea to lose built in nests, and construct some stand alone and portable nests that are somewhat deep from front to back, that has a solid roof, and that the floor is made from hardware cloth. If you want to hatch chicks don't worry about your bending over or your aching back so site the nest directly on the ground. BTW, 9 out of 10 hens who chose their own nest sites chose a nest that is in contact with the ground. Last there needs to be some way to close up the front of the nest box to discourage the hen from bee bopping off the nest when the first pip hatches and to keep the flock valedictorian from abandoning the rest of her clutch and dragging the first lonesome chick around the coop while the rest of her clutch dies. With a portable nest it is a simple matter to close it up and move nest box, eggs, hen and all to a new location where she can incubate by herself,

Back
Top Bottom