Broody Hen Thread!

I have 2 little ones who are micro bantam barred rock hen crossed with silkie roo. They are the cutest,tiniest little things. From my reading, a non barred roo over a barred hen should (crossing fingers that it's true) give sex linked chicks. Barred boys and non barred girls. So with that said, the cute little black fuzzy in the pic with no head dot should be a girl. I'm waiting to see how my own hatch develops to give this more than a should. :)

I was thinking the same about them being sex links! My silkie too is solid black... I'm hoping this little one is a hen... I checked her out again not too long ago now that she is all dry, AND SHE HAS FEATHERED FEET
1f60d.png
so adorable! How old are your chicks? I'd love to see pics!

Update!! Little one is all dry now and very active with mom... This is my first time with broody and she's been a great mom so far... However, this little out hatched out at about 5 pm yesterday and it's 3 pm today... None of the other eggs have even begun to hatch.. All the eggs were set at the same time. Im pretty sure they were all fertile.. We have one roo and 6 hens.. He seems to handle his business well enough with all the ladies each day. The hatch date was actually marked for today (today is day 21) I know that she'll want to leave the nest soon to raise this little one.. I'm not sure what's going on with the other eggs...

Any tips or advice??

@randiferina I just realized that they are 6 weeks old today!

Not the best pic but you can at least see them. Flock isn't ranging today since we will be away from home this evening and they do not like to have to be put up early. Will try to get more the next time they are out or maybe bedtime tonight.

Last edited:

Update!! Little one is all dry now and very active with mom... This is my first time with broody and she's been a great mom so far... However, this little out hatched out at about 5 pm yesterday and it's 3 pm today... None of the other eggs have even begun to hatch.. All the eggs were set at the same time. Im pretty sure they were all fertile.. We have one roo and 6 hens.. He seems to handle his business well enough with all the ladies each day. The hatch date was actually marked for today (today is day 21) I know that she'll want to leave the nest soon to raise this little one.. I'm not sure what's going on with the other eggs...

Any tips or advice??

She should sit another day or so. Hopefully they are internally pipping and will hatch in the next 24 hours. If you have one available heat up your incubator for just in case.

No. What they are saying is if mom gets off the nest with the hatched one, you may try to put the unhitched ons in the incubator if you think that they are viable. Then, if those hatch, put them under her at night, after they are fluffy and running around.

Most likely she will stay put until viable hatch time is up, then move on. Anything unhitched after day 23 is likely a stinker.

No. What they are saying is if mom gets off the nest with the hatched one, you may try to put the unhitched ons in the incubator if you think that they are viable. Then, if those hatch, put them under her at night, after they are fluffy and running around.

Most likely she will stay put until viable hatch time is up, then move on. Anything unhitched after day 23 is likely a stinker.

OK! I thought taking the hatched one sounded a little odd lol she's being pretty patient so far.. And doesn't seem in any hurry to get up. Hopefully we'll have some action in the next day or so... Do some eggs usually hatch so early before the others?? It seems so strange! But like I said... This is our first time hatching eggs with a broody.

Back
Top Bottom