Broody Hen Thread!

Smaller eggs often hatch early. Temps can play a factor. If that one was usually in the warmest spot it may have developed just a bit faster. And some just like to be first for no rhyme or reason.

She is not going to figure it out. She will die on the nest instead. That is not to scare you. I am just telling you that she isn't going to figure it out.
It really sounds like you need to get her some babies. It doesn't matter what breed of bird. Just that they be one or two days old. Put them under her at night, and get the eggs out of there. Be careful that none break.
The cause of the eggs stopping their development could be most anything. Yes, that he could have done it.
:hugs Good luck!

Thanks for the luck we need it. I'm toying with the idea of taking 2 or 3 from my other broody and switching them out this morning while she's running around. Those eggs are about 25 to 28 days along

Thanks for the luck we need it. I'm toying with the idea of taking 2 or 3 from my other broody and switching them out this morning while she's running around. Those eggs are about 25 to 28 days along
Sounds like a plan. If you miss her run around time, switch them out at night. She won't know the difference.

Sounds like a plan.  If you miss her run around time, switch them out at night.  She won't know the difference.

So it's done. All switched I cracked open the two I took from Daffy and I was so scared to see a poor little body, but nothing it just looked like they had been cooked. All of the inside way grey and yellow. So strange I was getting all fertile eggs every morning so when they started sitting I assumed they would be good. I think they looked dark when I candled it because they were already cooked. Poor thing. Hopefully this switch takes and the others are good. Here's hoping.

My hen Crumbs, the Red Sex Links eggs hatch in 3 days !! She has 2 silkie eggs and 1 Cochin egg. I'll keep you updated on the hatch !
bow.gif

So mom left the nest with the baby... I checked the eggs and two of the eggs have pipped internally but not externally... (I hear peeping but no break in the shell)... Mom is NOT going back to nest.. I have her in a small area away from the flock and she is nesting with baby outside of the box... I don't have an incubator
1f622.png
1f622.png
1f622.png
any tips? I was hoping she'd hear them and go back to finish the job... But she's been off almost an hour. I'm fearing the worst for these poor babies.

So mom left the nest with the baby... I checked the eggs and two of the eggs have pipped internally but not externally... (I hear peeping but no break in the shell)... Mom is NOT going back to nest.. I have her in a small area away from the flock and she is nesting with baby outside of the box... I don't have an incubator
1f622.png
1f622.png
1f622.png
any tips? I was hoping she'd hear them and go back to finish the job... But she's been off almost an hour. I'm fearing the worst for these poor babies.

Heat lamp, heating pad? Just throwing out ideas although I may be too late by now.

1f622.png
1f622.png
1f622.png

I would first try to stick them back under her where she made her new nest, but it's a long shot. Maybe she will hear them peeping and decide to stay put?

My only other thought would be to try to put together a makeshift incubator -- maybe a box with some holes/venting cut into it, set on top of a heating pad with a warm wet sponge inside, and saran wrap on top? I've never tried it, but maybe a search for makeshift or emergency incubators would yield something you could make at home. At the basics, an incubator is just a warm, moist environment. Maybe even a moist paper towel draped over the eggs in a warm spot might be enough. If they do hatch, you will need to brood them yourself, as your hen probably won't be interested in more chicks now that she is off the nest.

What a crummy position to be in. I hope it works out for you.

The rooster that fathered my first brood of chicks died over night. He was only 16 months old. We don't know what happened. He had been sick for about 6 weeks. We tried everything short of stripping nekked, painting ourselves purple and slinging a dead cat over our heads while standing on a hilltop at midnight and nothing helped.

I have three full blooded Buff O cockerels from him. One full blooded Buff O pullet, and three Welly/Buff O cross cockerels that he can claim so a bit of him will live on.

So happy for all of you hatching new chicks. Today I'm celebrating a short life well lived.

I'm gonna miss you, Red.

Now, how am I supposed to tell you how sorry I am, when I am laughing so hard?!
Okay, I will tell you that I am honestly sorry you lost him. He may have had a weak heart. Maybe
duc.gif
Sorry. I was going to say something funny. I want you to know I am sorry though.
hugs.gif

Now, you are hilarious!
gig.gif

She knows how sad I am but she made me laugh as well.

Back
Top Bottom