Broody Hen Thread!

I would first try to stick them back under her where she made her new nest, but it's a long shot. Maybe she will hear them peeping and decide to stay put?

My only other thought would be to try to put together a makeshift incubator -- maybe a box with some holes/venting cut into it, set on top of a heating pad with a warm wet sponge inside, and saran wrap on top? I've never tried it, but maybe a search for makeshift or emergency incubators would yield something you could make at home. At the basics, an incubator is just a warm, moist environment. Maybe even a moist paper towel draped over the eggs in a warm spot might be enough. If they do hatch, you will need to brood them yourself, as your hen probably won't be interested in more chicks now that she is off the nest.

What a crummy position to be in. I hope it works out for you.

I would put them with her and see how it goes, if not put them under a light with a moist sponge near and pray
fl.gif

Thanks guys, I needed that.

I spent most of today working outside in 90 degree heat trying to get my bachelor pen/grow out pen finished. Aggie's chicks are three weeks old now and feathering out great. Such pretty babies. When I turn them outside, I'll get pictures of them. I felt so sorry for the bachelors today that when I took their fan away from them and gave it to Aggie's bunch I turned them back out with the main flock. I realized too late I had just uncorked pandemonium. Rooster Wars 2016. Everyone was fighting, hens were yelling, cockerels were scattering. I finally had to break out laughing at the chaos. Nobody got hurt. Chester, the new flock alpha took on all newcomers and came out victorious. Everyone settled into the shade at that point and enjoyed the breeze. I'm almost going to hate separating them again when the pen gets finished but no way 9 roosters can peacefully co-exist with 13 hens.

The babies are growing sooooo fast. I miss my broody...bad microchick! BAD!

So it's done. All switched I cracked open the two I took from Daffy and I was so scared to see a poor little body, but nothing it just looked like they had been cooked. All of the inside way grey and yellow. So strange I was getting all fertile eggs every morning so when they started sitting I assumed they would be good. I think they looked dark when I candled it because they were already cooked. Poor thing. Hopefully this switch takes and the others are good. Here's hopin
They may have been fertile but for some reason just didn't develop. It just happens.

How much longer for the "new" eggs Daffy got?

Good luck.
My hen Crumbs, the Red Sex Links eggs hatch in 3 days !! She has 2 silkie eggs and 1 Cochin egg. I'll keep you updated on the hatch !
bow.gif
fl.gif

Thanks guys, I needed that.

I spent most of today working outside in 90 degree heat trying to get my bachelor pen/grow out pen finished. Aggie's chicks are three weeks old now and feathering out great. Such pretty babies. When I turn them outside, I'll get pictures of them. I felt so sorry for the bachelors today that when I took their fan away from them and gave it to Aggie's bunch I turned them back out with the main flock. I realized too late I had just uncorked pandemonium. Rooster Wars 2016. Everyone was fighting, hens were yelling, cockerels were scattering. I finally had to break out laughing at the chaos. Nobody got hurt. Chester, the new flock alpha took on all newcomers and came out victorious. Everyone settled into the shade at that point and enjoyed the breeze. I'm almost going to hate separating them again when the pen gets finished but no way 9 roosters can peacefully co-exist with 13 hens.

The babies are growing sooooo fast. I miss my broody...bad microchick! BAD!
I can visualize the chaos now!

I have 6/8 (possibly 7/8) 2 month olds that are boys. I dread making the choices.

My 2 week olds - I was looking at combs and thought I might try duct tape and see if I can push any comb and wattles back in!
lau.gif

Question -

Anyone out there have a broody mama go to roost at 1 1/2 - 2 weeks - without the babies?

Mine keeps trying to roost and doesn't seem to care that they are still on the floor. The babies don't protest too much, just pile up together and sleep. I keep putting her back on the floor with them and then she will day (if it is dark enough).

My dilemma - how safe are they without her? Our nights are close to 80 degrees so I think they would be ok with the temps. I haven't seen any other flock member harrassing them so I don't worry about another bird attacking. My only concern is if a predator of some type breaks into the coop, they have no one to fight for them. Knock on wood, we haven't had a security breach in a very long time and have done much to fortify any issues we had, so I don't see that as a big threat either. She has still been mamaing them during the day, just seems to want a break at night.

Thoughts, personal stories, ideas?
caf.gif

Funny you'd mention this...I had a brood end up hatching out one chick, she was a wonderful mom, for about three weeks. Then she decided she'd had enough and ditched the chick, headed back to the big coop leaving baby alone. She knew how to fly up to a low roof to get in and out of the main run., where the coop access is, and most of the other hens. She left the baby out in the yard--up till then the two of them would head back to the horsebarn and hop into the 100 gallon (empty!) water trough where I kept them each night for protection (covered).
Anyways, I now have a solo youngster that's too small to be in the with rest of the flock so I put her (hoping if I say "her" enough that's what she'll be) in the trough each night and out in the kennel run every day until she's big enough to hold her own.

So sad, she'd run up to her 'mother' and get pecked at...she didn't understand. Broke my heart. But she's got a great friendly personality, and quite smart...let her out with the flock for an hour late afternoon when they are let loose in the yard. This way she wouldn't get trapped or picked on. Did just fine (she's only 5 weeks old) but everyone headed to bed and she stood alone in the yard. I called to her from the barn and she headed right to me, from about 75 feet away. I put her on my shoulder and we headed in to her bed. Temps aren't an issue, she's fully feathered, it's more the social aspect--the youngest an smallest is going to get picked on more, and I have no others to raise with her like I usually do---Mom was sneaky when she escaped the run and went broody...unplanned egg hatching!

Good luck with your babies. I would worry about them if mom is protecting them from the rest during the day if your temps are up..if it gets cool maybe think of putting them in a brooder and rase them yourself until they're fully feathered. Good luck.

Hey Puddin Fluff, let me know if that duct tape idea works. We have rolls of that stuff laying around and I'm not shy about using it on them. I was looking at the 3 week olds today. I was hoping to see a glimmer of Red in one of the chicks but at this point it's not happening. The interesting thing that I'm noticing is that there are two that are Welly roo over Speckled Sussex hen. Lo and behold, one has black breast feathers coming in and the other has salmon colored breast feathers coming in. And I know that the Welly is a girl. One of the Welly/Buff O crosses has been standing on his toes and bleating out little alarm calls since he was 7 days old so the count is two cockerels, two pullets at this point with 4 unknown.

The 12 weeks olds are driving me nuts. 3 of Reds chicks over a Welly hen are cockerels and have reached maturity. 2 are Red's with Buff hens and are sprouting saddle feathers. One little pullet is Red's over a Welly hen and I have two that even at 12 weeks, I don't know what the heck they are. None of the pure Buff boys are crowing yet so I keep hoping........ That little devil fathered every one of Aggie's first brood. None of the 2nd. And the hen rooster count of that first batch is possibly 7 cockerels with 1 pullet. I think that silly rooster wanted to make sure he left sons behind for me.

Last edited:
Yep, I told my breeder that her eggs were "defective" as there were way more than 50% roos in the hatch!

Went out to open the coop this morning and heard a strange sound. I stopped and looked and saw one of my banty cockerels stretching his neck and making a noise. I won't say crowing as it was nothing near! I love pre-teen roos! I just hate when the hormones totally hit and they want to jump all the girls.

I have a broody hen with 3 babies. I have them in a separate run attached to the main run and coop, but because my coop is elevated off the ground I was worried the chicks couldn't make it up the ramp. This is my first time letting her raise babies, so I am wondering when I can open the two runs up together or if I should keep them separated?

Hey Puddin Puff, let me know if that duct tape idea works. We have rolls of that stuff laying around and I'm not shy about using it on them. I was looking at the 3 week olds today. I was hoping to see a glimmer of Red in one of the chicks but at this point it's not happening. The interesting thing that I'm noticing is that there are two that are Welly roo over Speckled Sussex hen. Lo and behold, one has black breast feathers coming in and the other has salmon colored breast feathers coming in. And I know that the Welly is a girl. One of the Welly/Buff O crosses has been standing on his toes and bleating out little alarm calls since he was 7 days old so the count is two cockerels, two pullets at this point with 4 unknown.

The 12 weeks olds are driving me nuts. 3 of Reds chicks over a Welly hen are cockerels and have reached maturity. 2 are Red's with Buff hens and are sprouting saddle feathers. One little pullet is Red's over a Welly hen and I have two that even at 12 weeks, I don't know what the heck they are. None of the pure Buff boys are crowing yet so I keep hoping........ That little devil fathered every one of Aggie's first brood. None of the 2nd. And the hen rooster count of that first batch is possibly 7 cockerels with 1 pullet. I think that silly rooster wanted to make sure he left sons behind for me.

Seven little "Reds" running around? Oh my!

I have a broody hen with 3 babies. I have them in a separate run attached to the main run and coop, but because my coop is elevated off the ground I was worried the chicks couldn't make it up the ramp. This is my first time letting her raise babies, so I am wondering when I can open the two runs up together or if I should keep them separated?

How old are the chicks?

Back
Top Bottom