Broody Hen Thread!

I have a quick question about moving a broody hen at the end of her hatch. I have a broody buff Orp. that I am letting broody with the flock and so far it hasn't been too much trouble. The thing I am worried about now is that the nest box she is in is right next to the people door that we leave open during the day for the chickens to free range. I am worried that the chicks might get out the door on accident when they are just starting to leave the nest and get lost. I don't have a good place to separate them from the flock and I don't really want to, but I do have a out of the way place that I could place a new nest for her. Its further from the door, and less chance that the chicks would get confused or lost, and it would be easier to place food and water close to her for the babies. Problem is she is on the 18th day and I am worried if I move her, especially if I am not going to lock her in that she will just leave and go back to her old nest box that she chose on day one. So would it be better to wait until the eggs hatch to move her? or should I just leave her and let her work it out on her own? My last broody that I gave some chicks too was in the same box before this, and she moved her chicks to a new nest in the back corner of our coup like a week after she had them. So not sure if this broody will do the same..?
Don't you think mama will keep an eye on them?

I have a quick question about moving a broody hen at the end of her hatch. I have a broody buff Orp. that I am letting broody with the flock and so far it hasn't been too much trouble. The thing I am worried about now is that the nest box she is in is right next to the people door that we leave open during the day for the chickens to free range. I am worried that the chicks might get out the door on accident when they are just starting to leave the nest and get lost. I don't have a good place to separate them from the flock and I don't really want to, but I do have a out of the way place that I could place a new nest for her. Its further from the door, and less chance that the chicks would get confused or lost, and it would be easier to place food and water close to her for the babies. Problem is she is on the 18th day and I am worried if I move her, especially if I am not going to lock her in that she will just leave and go back to her old nest box that she chose on day one. So would it be better to wait until the eggs hatch to move her? or should I just leave her and let her work it out on her own? My last broody that I gave some chicks too was in the same box before this, and she moved her chicks to a new nest in the back corner of our coup like a week after she had them. So not sure if this broody will do the same..?

Typically we allow the hen to stay in the box of choice for the first 24 hrs or so after hatch and then move her if needed. The chicks roam very little the first day and once broody has shifted from setting mode to mama hen mode she probably won't mind much about being moved.

Don't you think mama will keep an eye on them?

Typically we allow the hen to stay in the box of choice for the first 24 hrs or so after hatch and then move her if needed. The chicks roam very little the first day and once broody has shifted from setting mode to mama hen mode she probably won't mind much about being moved.

Thanks guys for the replies. I know she should look after them, but this is not only her first hatch ever, but its also the first time I have ever hatched out eggs as well so I am understandably nervous about it all. When my last broody adopted chicks they were closer to a week old and didn't bond completely to mama. They stuck with her for the most part, but they were older and liked to get lost. So that's my only real experience having chicks with a mama hen. I am hoping these chicks since they will be hatched out under mama that they will stick to her like glue, and I am hoping she will be a good mama too. Maybe I will try leaving her where she is and if it presents itself as a problem I will move her after they hatch.

My Cuckoo Marian has gone broody for the second time, placed some eggs under her from MPC.

My buff orp went broody a week before and is sitting on fertile eggs from herself, a welsumner, and the cuckoo. All were fertilized by a Carolina Blue. Will be interesting to see the chicks.

Both the girls are total lovers, well before they went broody. My Maran still loves a little attn,but my orp is a demon beast from hell! When I try to get newly laid eggs from under her, she bites and pulls! Ouch!

I was posting in the incubator thread, lol. My broody has hatched one out of 10, and she was standing on it this morning. I thought it was dead. I can't wait til the rest hatch. They are setting off fireworks all day to celebrate the hatch. Err, no, it's the 4th but I can pretend.

Now that they've hatched, she's doing better. But Moony, our corg, doesn't understand why she won't play with him. She puts her wings out and chases him off. Lol

He wouldn't hurt the chicks, he actually is very curious and chases the other chickens away from the hatch coop.

I haven't read this thread through, so sorry if the information is in here already. Can someone tell me how many eggs a polish/silkie hen could sit on so they all get enough warmth/etc? Everyone seems to sell them in dozens, I suspect she wouldn't fit over all of those, by herself.

I haven't read this thread through, so sorry if the information is in here already. Can someone tell me how many eggs a polish/silkie hen could sit on so they all get enough warmth/etc? Everyone seems to sell them in dozens, I suspect she wouldn't fit over all of those, by herself.
Polishes rarely go broody so i wouldn't expect much from them, But silkies could probably sit on about a dozen banty eggs. And maybe six normal sixed eggs though some silkes are Huge and some arent. I'd need to see how big yours are

Most Silkies cover about 6 large eggs well, 5 being better.

Since she is a Polish-Silkie mix, it depends on her fluff and her spread.

I have been able to ask breeders for half dozen and generally get them. Most breeders even sell by the egg not the dozen (especially if you are getting specialized breeds).

I find my mixed breeds, even without broody type parents in the background, tend to go broody, something with the hybrid vigor and all. So, I wouldn't be surprised that a Silkie-Polish would brood for you.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom