Broody Hen Thread!

You should NEVER let a guinea just nest where she wants w/o making sure you KNOW she's safe. They get killed in the nest all the time, that's why you move them or take the eggs
it was not a something killed it it died of starvation and nothing we did would help even if we got it off the nest it would peck hard make you bleed and get back on the nest.

My broody has been sitting in the favourite nest box, where 5 other hens like to lay. I tried moving her yesterday and she will not sit on the breeding run, she is just pacing up & down trying to get out. I don't want her to be pushed out of the favourite box every time another hen wants to lay, so do I persevere with the breeding run and hope she eventually takes to the nest there or do I let her go back to her favourite box and shut her in so that the other hens cannot get in, letting her out a couple of times a day?

My broody has been sitting in the favourite nest box, where 5 other hens like to lay. I tried moving her yesterday and she will not sit on the breeding run, she is just pacing up & down trying to get out. I don't want her to be pushed out of the favourite box every time another hen wants to lay, so do I persevere with the breeding run and hope she eventually takes to the nest there or do I let her go back to her favourite box and shut her in so that the other hens cannot get in, letting her out a couple of times a day?

I had a girl like that.. Go at night, pick her up so her belly is covered by your hands and her feet are up (ie don't let air flow under her). Cover her head with a rag, and move fast to her new nest, WITH EGGS. The eggs are bribing material :p

Hello my silkie just went broody yesterday
wee.gif
i am going to put eggs under her tonite i am gong to put 3 of her own eggs how much could a silkie handel this is her 3rd time so i think she would be ok with 8 would she 5 large eggs and 3 silkie eggs what d
thumbsup.gif
o ye think

Hello my silkie just went broody yesterday
wee.gif
i am going to put eggs under her tonite i am gong to put 3 of her own eggs how much could a silkie handel this is her 3rd time so i think she would be ok with 8 would she 5 large eggs and 3 silkie eggs what d
thumbsup.gif
o ye think
Depends on your weather and her size. My Shirley Jones is a tiny silky so she could cover at most 5 of hers or 3 LF. But I've had larger silky girls who could cover 7 bantam or 4 LF in the colder months. I've not had success mixing bantam and LF eggs under the same broody. Seems the varying egg size poses a hatching problem, but perhaps your girl can handle the differences.

I had a girl like that.. Go at night, pick her up so her belly is covered by your hands and her feet are up (ie don't let air flow under her). Cover her head with a rag, and move fast to her new nest, WITH EGGS. The eggs are bribing material :p

Cochin brahmalover, I love your avatar. It is a hilarious gift. There is one that say sorry for being... Fabulous! Hahaha!:D

Back
Top Bottom