Broody Hen Thread!

I have two grey-ish Brahmas, does anyone know if they tend to go broody and with it being almost end of July in N.E. Ohio is it too late for them and the potential peeps? also IF she does, do I separate her from the rest of my hens?
I do a middle of the road...............I have a large cage for the hen to set in..in the coop with the flock.
When she hatches, I keep her and the chicks separated for a couple of days to give her a chance to teach her chicks to eat ect and come to her call.
I do this because I lost a couple of chicks that wandered into the flock and were killed. They ran to the wrong hen and got trampled.
The hen returns to the cage with the chicks at night.I close them in so they do not have to compete for their chick starter.
Good Luck...............
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I just noticed my broody off the nest, so I checked her eggs. 3/6 on day 19. Had to take 3 out as they were starting to smell. They were clear as well. :( Breeder had good fertility, so I wonder what happened? I'm not holding onto a lot of hope for the rest either. There's only one good egg in there for sure.

This is the broody.. (the hen that accepted the eggs as her own:)

This is the true parents of the eggs.. (the hen who laid them)

I am sure it in there somewhere but wanted to ask. After young hens start laying first eggs how long does it take for them to decide whether or not they will be broody? I've heard some say that they could tell that their hens would be broody before they started laying because they would just sit in nest boxes. I've heard that it takes a couple months after they start laying for the" Switch " to take place. All my hens are "rocks" (barred, buff, white and partridge). They are 23 weeks old and eggs are still small.

I think it depends on the chicken. My buff orpington just went broody for the first time, and she is 2 (almost exactly) and a breed that is supposed to be broody by nature. I'm thinking that they will go broody when you don't want them to (no rooster, too hot, no room for chicks -- you can sign me up for all 3 of those issues, and there is Marlena sitting on 5 Marans eggs with 6 more in the incubator. Oh well).
I am sure it in there somewhere but wanted to ask. After young hens start laying first eggs how long does it take for them to decide whether or not they will be broody? I've heard some say that they could tell that their hens would be broody before they started laying because they would just sit in nest boxes. I've heard that it takes a couple months after they start laying for the" Switch " to take place. All my hens are "rocks" (barred, buff, white and partridge). They are 23 weeks old and eggs are still small.

anytime in there laying years it depends on there breed like silkies migth go broody once they have laid there first clutch others could be 3 years my maran went broody when she was 3 years old
your buffs should defintly go broody in there lifetime any way

I think it depends on the chicken. My buff orpington just went broody for the first time, and she is 2 (almost exactly) and a breed that is supposed to be broody by nature. I'm thinking that they will go broody when you don't want them to (no rooster, too hot, no room for chicks -- you can sign me up for all 3 of those issues, and there is Marlena sitting on 5 Marans eggs with 6 more in the incubator. Oh well).
yuckyuck.gif
.That's when my hens go broody............................when ever they want to

As already stated , there is no set time .when ever the hormones hit....................
I have a 7 month old Wyandotte pullet that just raised 7 chicks...............
Have another about 3,that broods twice a year.. and a two year old that just went broody the first time.
Sure wish they would check with my schedual on shipped eggs......................
I do not agree with the setting in the nest thing..............mine never rest in their nest box....
Mother nature rules on this .....................................
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom