Broody Hen Thread!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FarmerBoy24, May 1, 2011.

1. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    I let my broody take care of the candling

2. TiaRC

TiaRC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2013
    Carteret county, NC
    X2

3. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    Hmmm...my ameraucana met the chicks my EE has yesterday. This morning she laid an egg and won't give it to me! She's an angry chicken at the moment and was my sweetheart! Polar opposite of Blue my current broody. Is broodiness contagious :gig no roo means no baby, lol if I just fight her for her daily egg (nicely!) She should give up trying to set right?

I don't have nuff layers to have another one stop laying lol but I suppose I could slip hatching eggs under her if she won't knock it off...lol for more layers :hmm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  4. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    Think they'll be alright in the coops over night with some cold weather coming? I'm nervous, we had 79 degrees this weekend and now overnight lows in the 30s coming. I know day temps are ok with Mama but can they dip really lower than usual and still be ok? :( I don't want them to freeze.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Hannahs Hollow

Hannahs Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    Barnston Island BC
    I think broodiness is contagious. I am fighting a broody for her's and the rest of the flocks eggs daily. I too hope this will eventually convince her to give it up. But apparently they are the ones in charge. My job is just to supply the food. I wonder if they see me a an egg stealer....

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    [​IMG]
    My Sizzle hen with a few of her Silkie and Sizzle babies.
    I have a Silkie hen sitting on 8 eggs. If they keep this up, I'll have more broodies than eggs to hatch [​IMG]

7. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

8. kmollyhughes

kmollyhughes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Northern Nevada

Contagious...ummm, yes! I had a sizzle broody...then a silkie...then another silkie...now ANOTHER sizzle. Good grief! I pulled them last night to avoid any more girls getting the mama bug. Lol. Determined little things.

9. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Our broody has been bringing the babies (now 2 weeks old) into the main coop area to mix with the flock.

[​IMG]
    Mindy's fluffy tail is a favorite play and scratching spot for the babies (and often mama hen also)

[​IMG]
    one of our roosters, Gabby, loves hanging out with the babies.... he has helped raise 4 or 5 clutches this past year.

[​IMG]
    He calls he babies over to share goodies he finds... (his comb has blu-kot on it from frostbite, that is why it looks black)
    [​IMG] Rosie with 5 of her 6 chicks lined up, Mindy is watching #6 who is busy scratching behind the baby gate area...

[​IMG] Once again we find the babies hanging out with Mindy, mama hen has no problem with her, so the chicks act like she is just part of the coop. We had the main door open this day while I was cleaning the coop, it was 42*F outside (though the sun was nice) and the chicks are 15 days old and running all over the place without a care in the world.

10. Hannahs Hollow

Hannahs Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    Barnston Island BC
    What a beautiful hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by