Broody Hen Thread!

Thank you. These will be my first hen raised so it will be interesting to compare differences. I will check with my friend to see what she wants to do. 4-6 weeks would give us better idea on any roos! My neighbor had 6 eggs hatch in an incubator and only 1 was a roo! Would love that kind of luck!

One cockerel from six eggs is pretty good. We hatched some last year from an incubator and out of seven successful hatches there were four cockerels lol. This year we are just trying just two Maran eggs under our Silky. I'll be gutted if they are both cockerels because unless they are very quiet (lol) we won't be able to keep them once they crow because of the neighbours.

How do you do lock down naturally? I did it last year with the incubator but how with a hen?

One cockerel from six eggs is pretty good. We hatched some last year from an incubator and out of seven successful hatches there were four cockerels lol. This year we are just trying just two Maran eggs under our Silky. I'll be gutted if they are both cockerels because unless they are very quiet (lol) we won't be able to keep them once they crow because of the neighbours.

How do you do lock down naturally? I did it last year with the incubator but how with a hen?

No actual lockdown naturally.
The hen will know when to stay put. She will hear or feel them.

how soon after chicks hatch will my broodies start laying again? And, do I need to change the food from layer to chick because of the babies? that will be tricky if they are in the same run won't it? Hatch day is Tuesday, but may also get some on Wednesday!

I have a broody hen and was considering getting some fertilized eggs for her to hatch, is this a good idea? Or just wait her out u til she tires of sitting?

how soon after chicks hatch will my broodies start laying again? And, do I need to change the food from layer to chick because of the babies? that will be tricky if they are in the same run won't it? Hatch day is Tuesday, but may also get some on Wednesday!

The hen can eat the chicks feed. Don't worry about calcium while they are with the chicks. She will wean the chicks after 5 weeks, sometimes a bit sooner or later. Then she can get what ever you are feeding the rest of the flock.

She will start laying after she gives up the little ones.

Last edited:
So all my hens can be fed chick food? And sorry if I sound stupid, but what do you mean wean? When I think of that word I think of nursing mothers. What will they be weaning off of?

About how many eggs do y'all think a bantam cochin could cover? I'm looking to get Cochin hens for setting, but only found bantam so far. They r 5 months, 6 months, & 1 yr.

About how many eggs do y'all think a bantam cochin could cover? I'm looking to get Cochin hens for setting, but only found bantam so far. They r 5 months, 6 months, & 1 yr.

Typically bantams can cover about 6 full size eggs safely. It depends on the spread factor and how fluffy they are to actual number.

Lady of McCamley

Back
Top Bottom