Broody Hen Thread!

I was told that it's possible an egg broke and one of the mommas pushed it out of the nest. Hatch day is Tuesday so it may be too early for a chick, but I will check. I was also told co brooding doesn't usually result in a happy ending. So I am a tad nervous now.

I put 10 fertile eggs under my broody exactly 3 weeks ago... now there are 12 under her, one was obviously my dark brown speckle egger so I removed it, the others are indistinguishable from one another :/ none smell bad though. Once a day I see my broody get off the nest to have a big ol stinky poo outside of her brooder, if she can't get out she just sprays it out the side of the cage... she is must be remaining well hydrated because it's runnier than I expect (maybe because I keep hand feeding her high water content fruits/vegs??? While shes off the nest one of the other birds will sit the eggs for her for a few minutes until she returns. I am so nervous about my first hatch! How many, if any will I get? Will they survive the first week? ack! The gal I got em from said she put a couple in the fridge while waiting for more, to keep them at a similar development rate due to the high temps in our area... what if the fridge was too cold? What if they got too shook up when I took them into the store with me instead of leaving them to cook in the car? What if the non-fertile one pops and ruins the rest... what if... only the next few days will tell :/ *pins & needles*

I put 10 fertile eggs under my broody exactly 3 weeks ago... now there are 12 under her, one was obviously my dark brown speckle egger so I removed it, the others are indistinguishable from one another :/  none smell bad though.  Once a day I see my broody get off the nest to have a big ol stinky poo outside of her brooder, if she can't get out she just sprays it out the side of the cage... she is must be remaining well hydrated because it's runnier than I expect (maybe because I keep hand feeding her high water content fruits/vegs???  While shes off the nest one of the other birds will sit the eggs for her for a few minutes until she returns.  I am so nervous about my first hatch!  How many, if any will I get?  Will they survive the first week? ack!  The gal I got em from said she put a couple in the fridge while waiting for more, to keep them at a similar development rate due to the high temps in our area... what if the fridge was too cold?  What if they got too shook up when I took them into the store with me instead of leaving them to cook in the car?  What if the non-fertile one pops and ruins the rest... what if... only the next few days will tell :/  *pins & needles*
[/quote

My broody is going the other way. We started with 13 eggs on the 13th and as of right now there are only 8! She ate one in the night. Her beak was all yolky and it smelled bad. I'm hoping she knows better than I and the smell was a rotten egg she got rid of. I had to clean up her nest and put a new layer of straw under her while she was out doing her thing.

Good luck with your hatch :fl It is what it is at this point. I'll pray for the best outcome :)

This is why I always mark my eggs with a Sharpie before giving them to the hen. That way, I can tell if any eggs are new.
You could pull each egg and candle it. Remove any that are obviously dead, find the new one (which should be way behind in development) and mark them so you can tell if any new eggs are laid in her nest :)

This is why I always mark my eggs with a Sharpie before giving them to the hen. That way, I can tell if any eggs are new.
You could pull each egg and candle it. Remove any that are obviously dead, find the new one (which should be way behind in development) and mark them so you can tell if any new eggs are laid in her nest
smile.png
Hey I do the same with my eggs !!
*HIGH FIVE*
thumbsup.gif

You could pull each egg and candle it. Remove any that are obviously dead, find the new one (which should be way behind in development) and mark them so you can tell if any new eggs are laid in her nest
smile.png
I used pencil and it's about rubbed off now ;) was worried about wax pencil or sharpie because the shell has to be breathable/semi permeable. I did candle a sampling of 3 eggs (too?) early on, saw blood ring in one. Noticed the eggs temp changes significantly when moving/checking them and the lamp feels too hot really fast, so I haven't messed with it again :/ New eggs are not fertilized. Just have to wait & see...

I always worried about sharpies too but I had put an old egg under my broody to encourage broodiness and I used a sharpie to mark it, the chick hatched fine and is very happy and healthy.

I always worried about sharpies too but I had put an old egg under my broody to encourage broodiness and I used a sharpie to mark it, the chick hatched fine and is very happy and healthy.

All I can say is that of the last 100+ eggs I remember marking with a sharpie I never saw a chick hatch with a tattoo yet.

There have been numerous threads on BYC discussing the subject, just do a search on 'how to mark hatching eggs '

After reading a few of the threads or other wise researching the question you will be better able to decide what is comfortable for you.

I just want up say last time I let a broody try to hatch eggs everything went wrong. My hen got locked out of her nest, the nest got soaked with water... The eggs didn't make it. I have two other broodys about a week in and everything seems fine. Today I go outside and my cat is chasing an obviously newly hatched baby chick. Maybe a day old. What the heck?! None Of my hens are missing, I can't find a rogue nest, and no other chicks. Just the one. I'm carrying it around everywhere because it hates to be alone. Where did it come from???? (sigh). Off to rural king tomorrow to see if they have any buddies left.

Back
Top Bottom