Broody Hen Thread!

Day 20 and I just went to check on mommas and I found a chick quite a ways away from the nest. Little chick didn't make it. Why did that happen? This is my first time as well as my broodies first time.

Why didn't the moms get him back there? I set up the brooder in case it happens again. I figured that's what happened. But I have to go to work now and I don't want too!
1f61e.png

They probably tried to call him or just were more interested in the other eggs, try to put small walls around them so the chicks dont wander off to far.

Sorry to hear about your chick BLT. How many are left to hatch?

For my own hatch update, Silky is still sitting on the eggs but although they are due tomorrow and the incubated lot started pipping at 19 days, these two have not started. Contrary to what seems to be common, Silky (its her name as well as breed lol) is really calm and friendly whilst sitting on eggs. When we first got her with Silky Chick (her adopted, warren daughter) she was a total ***** lol. You couldn't go near her with assurances of safety - we had to put up a beware of the chicken sign. This didn't change when Silky chick was older or up until Silky started brooding again. Now she's chilled and I'm assuming the ***** switch will be flipped again once pipping starts.

Tomorrow is hatch day so I'll keep you informed. Is it common for natural hatches to be later than incubated?

My BO broody is hatching eggs today. Day 20. Good and bad news. I came home this afternoon and visited the broody and both OE eggs were close to being born when I looked under mama. So I waited another hour and then went out again and one was fully out, which is the good news. Then I notice the other egg, which I could see the face, was looking odd, so I picked it up and there were maggots crawling in the open hole and it was not zipped all around, just a big gaping hole and the chick was dead! :barnie Now, I'm waiting on the 6 marans eggs and I didn't notice any pips on them. Thankfully, this broody has not once pecked me and all I have to do is touch her wing and she just lets me partially lift her to look under. She's a first-timer and so sweet. This dead chick has made me nervous that the others might not make it. Praying for the best.

I have a hen who is setting under our back deck, it is a catch 22 situation...no predators can get to her or her eggs (the only things that fit under the porch are the chickens and the cats...the cats are scared of the chickens) But...she is far enough back that she is also to far for us to reach her, unless we tear our deck apart. Its about time for those chicks to start hatching, and a few days ago she carried out a nasty looking egg. I havent seen her move off of the nest since Friday/Saterday.
Frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom