Broody Hen Thread!

My Wellsumer went broody again, trying to hatch two golf balls and three ceramic eggs. I thought this would be a great chance to order some fertile hatching eggs. They should arrive tomorrow. So very excited!
I have two laying boxes, but one is the clear favorite, and my girls line up to use it. That's where my Wellie is brooding, and also where the other two like to lay, the problem is they shove her out of the box to get in and lay. I thought it would be a good idea to isolate her where she won't be disturbed, so I set up a brood nest in the pen, with food and water close to her. I moved the golf balls and ceramic eggs to the brood nest, and she accepted the change quite well. The problem is this has thrown the other two for a loop. It seems they've forgotten all the times they sneaked eggs under the Day Lilies, in the mint, the compost heap, or in the rotting Box Elder stump. With no fake eggs to tell them where to lay, they are all kinds of confused! My EE spent the better part of they day in distress, clucking oddly, squatting, digging shallow depressions, and trying to find just the right spot to lay. Took me a while to figure it out, and once I did I returned yesterday's eggs to her usual box, and the second she saw the eggs go in, she climbed in, sat down, and promptly laid. My RIR on the other hand, was having none of that. She found her way into the isolated pen, shouldered(do chickens even have shoulders?) the Wellie off the nest and laid there. The Wellie then made her way BACK up to the coop to brood over the EEs latest egg.
My daffy chickens can't figure this stuff out, and only seem to want to lay eggs on other eggs. Hatching eggs arrive today, hopefully, so my Wellie can have those and I can return the fake ones to their usual box, and there will be more chicken drama.

Yesterday I checked the hen and chicks, still two yellow and one black. I tried to see under mama hen but she was not happy about it. I did see a chick that had started hatching but shrink wrapped. :( Very sad.
She was still sitting on 5 eggs so I'm going to let her sit today with only a few checks. Tonight I'm thinking about candling the rest to see what's going on with them.

My Wellsumer went broody again, trying to hatch two golf balls and three ceramic eggs. I thought this would be a great chance to order some fertile hatching eggs. They should arrive tomorrow. So very excited!
I have two laying boxes, but one is the clear favorite, and my girls line up to use it. That's where my Wellie is brooding, and also where the other two like to lay, the problem is they shove her out of the box to get in and lay. I thought it would be a good idea to isolate her where she won't be disturbed, so I set up a brood nest in the pen, with food and water close to her. I moved the golf balls and ceramic eggs to the brood nest, and she accepted the change quite well. The problem is this has thrown the other two for a loop. It seems they've forgotten all the times they sneaked eggs under the Day Lilies, in the mint, the compost heap, or in the rotting Box Elder stump. With no fake eggs to tell them where to lay, they are all kinds of confused! My EE spent the better part of they day in distress, clucking oddly, squatting, digging shallow depressions, and trying to find just the right spot to lay. Took me a while to figure it out, and once I did I returned yesterday's eggs to her usual box, and the second she saw the eggs go in, she climbed in, sat down, and promptly laid. My RIR on the other hand, was having none of that. She found her way into the isolated pen, shouldered(do chickens even have shoulders?) the Wellie off the nest and laid there. The Wellie then made her way BACK up to the coop to brood over the EEs latest egg.
My daffy chickens can't figure this stuff out, and only seem to want to lay eggs on other eggs. Hatching eggs arrive today, hopefully, so my Wellie can have those and I can return the fake ones to their usual box, and there will be more chicken drama.
. It's perfectly normal they are programed to lay clutches of eggs to brood I would swap the other two eggs for golf balls leave them penned up in the coop till after egg 30 and force them back into their routine should work ,,,

Oh, I've got it sorted out now. I just though it rather funny how they refused to lay in previous sneaky nest sites now that they have gotten used to laying next to ceramic eggs. sacrificing a couple eggs so they have something to keep them happy until the fertile ones arrive this afternoon, when I can return the fake ones to the usual nest boxes. Broody hen is now being left alone, and I can now section off that part of the pen once the chicks hatch, if they need the added protection from the bigger hens.

I may do this. They are pretty well feathered too so they should be good huddling they don't need to be covered. I have to remind myself they aren't humans watching all the dynamics. I don't think chickens cry over hurtful children. :) The bantam Cochin is a frizzle and she has none of the cochin sweetness. Before she ever went broody she was a biter. But it's a good for taking charge with the babies. She's my tiniest hen but she scares everyone off with her crazy. After they hatched she relocated with her 4 day old chicks and moved in with the silkie. I couldnt figure out where they disappeared to.

14 eggs arrived today, all intact! However, I managed to damage one while unwrapping. My little broody Wellie is now happily trying to fit 13 eggs beneath her... Have been told to expect about 50% hatch rate, which will be just fine by me.

14 eggs arrived today, all intact! However, I managed to damage one while unwrapping. My little broody Wellie is now happily trying to fit 13 eggs beneath her... Have been told to expect about 50% hatch rate, which will be just fine by me. 
good luck and I'm sure she is a happy camper

I have a couple questions. This is my first time trying to use a broody to hatch. I have her in a small isolation pen in the coop, enough room to move around a little and food and water. She is on day 6. I have been taking her out every day to do whatever with the rest of the flock. She can't get in or out of the pen on her own to keep the other hens out of her nest. Do I need to take her out every day? The reason I ask is cause she makes such a ruckus coming out and going in that my rooster is seeming to get annoyed at me for messing with her. Will she be ok just staying in the pen? She only stays out about 10 minutes. Sorry if this has been addressed but I am only on page 80.

I have a couple questions. This is my first time trying to use a broody to hatch. I have her in a small isolation pen in the coop, enough room to move around a little and food and water. She is on day 6. I have been taking her out every day to do whatever with the rest of the flock. She can't get in or out of the pen on her own to keep the other hens out of her nest. Do I need to take her out every day? The reason I ask is cause she makes such a ruckus coming out and going in that my rooster is seeming to get annoyed at me for messing with her. Will she be ok just staying in the pen? She only stays out about 10 minutes. Sorry if this has been addressed but I am only on page 80.

You can just leave her in there. She should be fine.

I have a couple questions. This is my first time trying to use a broody to hatch. I have her in a small isolation pen in the coop, enough room to move around a little and food and water. She is on day 6. I have been taking her out every day to do whatever with the rest of the flock. She can't get in or out of the pen on her own to keep the other hens out of her nest. Do I need to take her out every day? The reason I ask is cause she makes such a ruckus coming out and going in that my rooster is seeming to get annoyed at me for messing with her. Will she be ok just staying in the pen? She only stays out about 10 minutes. Sorry if this has been addressed but I am only on page 80.

Sounds like she should be fine in there. Before I moved my broody she only went outside of the coop twice, both times to do a quick dust bath. So maybe encourage her once a week but don't force it.

Back
Top Bottom