Broody Hen Thread!

So I'm pretty new to all this but I have a flock of BLRW. I bought 18 EE chicks from someone who had ordered too many. They are 5 weeks old now and I have them inside under a lamp. How do I introduce them? Will a hen take them in under her wing as her own or will they fight them away? And at what age can they go outside? The BLRW flock I got when they were all a year old already so I skipped the chick part of raising:(
Unless a hen in your BLRW flock is very broody, no hen will take the chicks under her wing. Even if a hen was brooding, it would be very doubtful she would do so with these chicks as they are too old at 5 weeks...most hens would be fledging the chicks by that age..."kicking" them out to be on their own. This generally happens sometime between 4 and 6 weeks of age.

At 5 weeks, they are barely feathered in fully. Also note that EE's take a bit longer to mature, so you don't want to rush it. With 5 week old chicks, you first obviously need to wean them off the heat lighting, and since it is the middle of winter, that will take some time as you have to raise the lamp in increments until they are accustomed to the outdoor temps...both daytime and nighttime....they might not be ready until 12 weeks of age depending upon where you live.

Further, your BLRW flock, being an established flock for some time, will view the younger chicks/pullets as intruders, and there will be scuffling for pecking order. How extreme depends upon the personalities of the BLRW in your flock and how laid back they are, and how assertive the EE's are. You have numbers working for you in that the EE's are a fairly large number and will stick together creating safety for the younger birds...but that could also create quite a free-for-all in the pecking order until everyone recognizes their position in the flock.

What I see happening when I introduce new pullets is that they stick together as a sub-flock for weeks, making a real effort to stay out of the path of the bigger/older birds. You will need to have cubby holes and hiding places so that the younger ones can find a safe place to tuck away in if a hen (or roo) is really upset with them. I've seen higher-order hens pen the younger pullets into a corner and not let them come out for some time, often causing them to become deprived of food and water. Usually it is a lower pecking order hen that hazes the newbie the hardest as they don't want to fall lower in the pecking order.

You don't mention how many roosters you have, but you will have to watch that number as well. Your head rooster may not take kindly to younger roosters in his territory....likely as long as they stay quiet and out of his way, things will be okay, but things can heat up. Too many roos is not a good thing.

You will need to integrate slowly and at an age where the younger birds can handle the transition better. For transitioning groups of birds that are strangers to each other, I recommend the youngest be at least 12 weeks of age....I do better at 16 weeks of age...nearly laying age as the young non-laying pullets are always hazed by the older laying hens.

To help with integration, after the chicks are old enough to weather the environment, let the two flocks get to see each other through a wire divider for at least a week. twp being better. Then let them free range together during the day in a place that has lots of wing-space so that nobody is too crowded. Everyone goes back to their normal roosting place. At this point you can choose whether or not you want to have separate roosting areas permanently (since it sounds like you have two fairly large flocks...1 of BLRW and 1 of EE's) or if you want them all in one coop depending upon the size of your coop as 18 would be quite the upgrade. If you want them in one coop, after they've free-ranged together for at least 2 weeks, a month being better, place the new members in the BLRW coop at night. Usually by the next morning, the flock is used to seeing them and the scuffles and pen downs are limited.

At all times during the transition keep an eye out for trouble in case somebody is being overly hazed. Also keep plenty of feeding and water stations available that are across the yard and out of sight of each other, that way aggressive hens can't keep younger birds from eating or drinking at the favored spot.

It may take several months for the two flocks to become one integrated flock....and amazingly, you will see that "birds of a feather do flock together" as the breeds will often seek each other out and stick together...definitely hatch mates will.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Lady of McCamley

EDITED TO ADD: I gave you the dynamics for a smaller, backyard flock. In larger flocks, of over 50(?)...or it may have been a much larger number like 100, I've read that the flock dynamics changes quite a bit and the birds become much calmer as nobody has a sense of position in the flock general. I have not witnessed that as I don't own that many birds, and I do find it hard to imagine that "clicks" and "gangs" don't form...but that is what I've read and add to the information in case you are getting into larger flock dynamics...assuming the "18" count for EE's wasn't a typo.

Last edited:
Thank you for all that info! My BLRW flock has 11. That includes 3 roosters. They all came together and are a tight pack. They are accepting of new comers though because I've since then introduced 2 other adult BLRW hens. They took a day and practically shunned them but that was it. Now they're best friends. The roosters all work together to watch the hens. They free range 20 acres and then put themselves away into the barn at night. The new flock of EE's is 18. And they were all sexed as pullets. So hopefully no new Roos:)

I'll wait until they are much older to integrate them together. For now, I'm upgrading the little guys to a 10x10 area in my garage. Big enough for them to get away from the heat lamp and adapt to the colder temps here in Colorado but still away from drafts and wet snow.

Thank you for all that info! My BLRW flock has 11. That includes 3 roosters. They all came together and are a tight pack. They are accepting of new comers though because I've since then introduced 2 other adult BLRW hens. They took a day and practically shunned them but that was it. Now they're best friends. The roosters all work together to watch the hens. They free range 20 acres and then put themselves away into the barn at night. The new flock of EE's is 18. And they were all sexed as pullets. So hopefully no new Roos:)

I'll wait until they are much older to integrate them together. For now, I'm upgrading the little guys to a 10x10 area in my garage. Big enough for them to get away from the heat lamp and adapt to the colder temps here in Colorado but still away from drafts and wet snow.
Yes...you will take longer to get the 5 week olds off the heat lamp as they have barely feathered, being under a heat lamp. A hen brooded chick will be fully feathered by 4 weeks, and totally acclimated to the climate, but heat lamp chicks take longer especially in cold Colorado.

With that much space, after you go through the introduction period of free ranging, you may be lucky that the new birds will just follow the older birds into the barn after a few days of free ranging together. You may have to set up some separate roosting areas to cut down on roost squabbles.

I find that when the new pullets come into lay, and are using the nest boxes (which you'll want to train them for), they tend to integrate and roost with the older birds. I then find odd roost mates of the different tribes and some new matchings.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
My poor broody,Spot, and her one chicky, Blackie, have been having hawk problems lately!!! Since i got my 2 new bators, i have stopped allowing hens to go broody so that there is no young (chicks) hawk food in the area so that most of the hawks leave...! Anyway...SPot and her chick were the last to hatch and the rest of the chicks are already big enough not to get killed! Anyway. So today about 5 hawks went for her..luckily she was fine!! In the end i decided to put her in the brooder with the other chicks just to be safe...she is happy now with her happy 59 adopted kids...lol!

Sorry...if that made no sense please forgive me!

I've been through 17 pages so this may very well be answered somewhere in the thread. I saw a couple of references to hens pushing out undeveloping eggs. Can they tell and does this happen often. Hope this dosen't show up in the dumbest things people have said thread.

I've been through 17 pages so this may very well be answered somewhere in the thread. I saw a couple of references to hens pushing out undeveloping eggs. Can they tell and does this happen often. Hope this dosen't show up in the dumbest things people have said thread.
No question is a dumb question...only the unasked one.

Yes, amazingly hens can tell and often do push out the undeveloping egg, especially if it has gone bad.

Hens have a keen sense of smell and hearing. They can hear the chicks moving in the eggs, and as you know, a rotting egg has a very distinct smell.

So many hens will push out those that are undeveloping/rotting.

However...having said that...do not assume that an egg pushed out is not developing or rotting (unless it smells bad or is cracked). Hens shuffle, and if they are in the main coop, others coming into the nest to lay can jostle eggs such that developing eggs get bumped out.

Always mark your set eggs, and it usually is best to keep the brooding hen and her nest separate so that others can't bump developing eggs out or lay others that start later giving a staggered hatch.

Lady of McCamley

Our hen Cirra is on day six and all four eggs have development!!!
big_smile.png

Lady of McCamley

One of you kind members stumbled onto my Member Page (my story), and gave me an ovation...thank you...but also helped me FIND that page again (which had fallen off my access area)...so I updated it.

If any of you are interested in some of my back story, here it is: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/lady-of-mccamleys-member-page

It's fun to see how much has changed over the years....in coop additions as the addiction has taken hold ...and the brooding projects and egg basket development...Also, I noticed I don't really name my chickens any more (except my broodies, and maybe one or two special keepers)...I can't keep up with the flock change overs over the time!

Lady of McCamley

My RIR just hatched her first chick. It was hatched on the end of day 19, start of day 20 so quite early. Although she hasn't already naught she abandon the rest of the clutch to raise the couple that have hatched already. 3 have hatched for sure, 1 of them didn't make it so there could still be 11 eggs under her.

Back
Top Bottom