Broody Hen Thread!

Has anyone ever had a hen go broody, raise a clutch and then never go broody again?

Yes, frequently with my large fowl breeds, especially the commercial types that surprise you that they went broody.

I have raised a couple of clutches with several of them, the others were more sulky than truly committed, giving up at week 2 or hopping on and off the nest too much after a week of sitting.

I don't count on any of my large fowl girls for brooding yet...none of them have proven themselves more than one timers. But that is just my flock. Many have regular large fowl broodies.

Now my banties, they are almost like clock work...gotta love a Silkie for that. I hope my Cochins are just as good.

LofMc

I have three broodys at the moment, one is due to hatch Saturday, one is Due to hatch Tuesday and the other I just put eggs under yesterday... Went out a bit ago to unblock the two so they could get out if they wanted and looky what I found!! At last count there were 11 eggs in this nest only two have hatched that I could see.. I didn't bother her, just took a moment to get my fill of looking at them and recovered her... The other broody is in the box next to her (but separate) both have been super determined so I expect to see some start hatching in that nest by late Sunday.
celebrate.gif

My broody and her eggs got tumbled in their hut today!!
sad.png
The wind was up to 30 mph and rolled the hut when I got there the eggs were smashed with cute black Fluffed chicks which would have hatched tomorrow or saturday.

I have three broodys at the moment, one is due to hatch Saturday, one is Due to hatch Tuesday and the other I just put eggs under yesterday... Went out a bit ago to unblock the two so they could get out if they wanted and looky what I found!! At last count there were 11 eggs in this nest only two have hatched that I could see.. I didn't bother her, just took a moment to get my fill of looking at them and recovered her... The other broody is in the box next to her (but separate) both have been super determined so I expect to see some start hatching in that nest by late Sunday.
celebrate.gif

So cute!

I don't think Nessie has gotten off her clutch all day. I opened the door for her just as it was getting light and checked on her throughout the day. The food doesn't look disturbed at all. I can't really blame her after the snake incident yesterday, but I'm worried about her getting food and water.

Back
Top Bottom