Broody Hen Thread!

Should I put the kennel in the coop so they can see each other since they are social? Thanks for the info.

Should I put the kennel inside the coop so she can see the others?? We tried putting her in a rabbit hutch but she stopped laying on her eggs.

Woohoo! In total my broody hatched 7 out of 8 eggs. Then unhatched egg looked like it stop developing after about 5-7 days. The last egg to hatch almost didn't make it, as mama had to make the choice to care for her 6 already hatched babies. Every time she left the pipped egg, she'd happily accept it back once she sat down. It hatched late afternoon yesterday and was still wet when I heard it peeping. Then when I checked back at around 7-7:30pm, mama had moved the babies to the nest, except Newbie, who couldn't walk yet. Newbie was shivering and cold...must've been left for 1-2 hours. I stuffed him under mama and hoped he'd make it through morning. And he did!!!! Woot! Newbie's biological parents are Salmon Faverolles.

A newly hatched Newbie:

Newbie all fluffed up and healthy today:

All the cute!

Can someone help me? I have a Silkie hen who just turned one year old and we are in our third round of broodiness. It seems she is following a pattern: she lays a lot of eggs for two weeks then becomes broody, we break her within about two weeks, she lays for two weeks, then she becomes broody again. Is it normal for broodiness to occur this frequently?

Can someone help me?  I have a Silkie hen who just turned one year old and we are in our third round of broodiness.  It seems she is following a pattern:  she lays a lot of eggs for two weeks then becomes broody, we break her within about two weeks, she lays for two weeks, then she becomes broody again.  Is it normal for broodiness to occur this frequently?
Silkies are notorious for that!

Can someone help me?  I have a Silkie hen who just turned one year old and we are in our third round of broodiness.  It seems she is following a pattern:  she lays a lot of eggs for two weeks then becomes broody, we break her within about two weeks, she lays for two weeks, then she becomes broody again.  Is it normal for broodiness to occur this frequently?

For silkies yes it is!

This is normal for silkies. They are a very broody breed. They are great if you want to hatch and raise chicks but not if you are looking for egg production.

Thanks for replying! I don't care if we don't get eggs for awhile, my only concern is for her health and happiness. It makes me sad to have to confine her for a few weeks every couple of weeks! The interesting thing is, this time around she is still pretty active. When I let her out of the breaker she books it to the garden and runs all over eating, scratching, pecking and cleaning herself. But she eventually goes back to nesting in the bedding in the run. Other than not laying and large poops, I wouldn't think she was broody. Is breaking the broodiness necessary every time? If I let her hatch an egg would she still get broody so frequently or would that be enough for this season?

Thanks for replying!  I don't care if we don't get eggs for awhile, my only concern is for her health and happiness.  It makes me sad to have to confine her for a few weeks every couple of weeks!  The interesting thing is, this time around she is still pretty active.  When I let her out of the breaker she books it to the garden and runs all over eating, scratching, pecking and cleaning herself.  But she eventually goes back to nesting in the bedding in the run.  Other than not laying and large poops, I wouldn't think she was broody.  Is breaking the broodiness necessary every time? If I let her hatch an egg would she still get broody so frequently or would that be enough for this season?   

In my experience with silkies. If you let them hatch a few they will raise the chicks for 5-7 weeks and mine usually lay 3 weeks after hatching and when see finally runs of the babies she will continue to lay for another few weeks then want to brood again! Lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom