Broody Hen Thread!

Thank you! The only reason I moved her is because it was a bit hot and she was panting, but we're about to install a fan in the coop for better ventilation :)
Would a dog house with a small hardware cloth run make a good cage for a broody?

I have a broody that just raised some chicks a few months ago. She was my first. Had another one since that is currently raising chicks. We did The same thing with both and moved them to a private broody coop. One other that we moved that way quit but that was okay. Now my first is broody again we moved her the same way. I bought eggs and put under her and she has sat and sat and sat. She did fine last time with getting up every 2-3 days to eat and poop. She was just not getting up so this morning I decided to get her up and she had pooped in the nest. Eggs were nasty. This is what her situation looks like.

That was taken last time she was broody.
I took her off the nest and then took the nest in the house and washed the eggs. Leaned out the container. There were little tiny ants all over the bottom, not in but under the container. Cleaned that as well and replaced with pine shavings and eggs. Back to coop and she is sitting on the eggs. It is much hotter now than when she brooded last time. Why do you think she didn't get up? Also, I had seen ants and put out Terro to try to attract them away from her coop. Now we have sprayed ant spray around the bottom of the coop. What do you think the chances of any of these eggs hatching is? She has been sitting for two weeks but on these eggs for just a week. Should I put a few in the incubator to increase her chance of getting babies or would that decrease her chances?

I'm a little worried about Agatha. We had to remove the last of her eggs yesterday, and all evening she kept calling that soft "cluck cluck" while she looked for them. Last night she didn't roost with the others - she slept on the floor of the spot where the broody pen was. This morning she was up and out with the flock, eating and fitting right back in where she's left off. That surprised me, because I didn't expect her to do that so soon. We had to go up to Billings and have been gone all day. Got home and Ken checked the nests for eggs. Aggie is sitting in one of the nests and it's like she thinks she can just start over with another 3 weeks worth of this. I'm afraid we disagree on that!

I'm a little worried about Agatha.  We had to remove the last of her eggs yesterday, and all evening she kept calling that soft "cluck cluck" while she looked for them.  Last night she didn't roost with the others - she slept on the floor of the spot where the broody pen was.  This morning she was up and out with the flock, eating and fitting right back in where she's left off. That surprised me, because I didn't expect her to do that so soon.  We had to go up to Billings and have been gone all day.  Got home and Ken checked the nests for eggs.  Aggie is sitting in one of the nests and it's like she thinks she can just start over with another 3 weeks worth of this.  I'm afraid we disagree on that!

Can't you get her a little chick or two?

I was hoping you all could answer a question for me. My broody is due to hatch out her eggs on the 23rd. She has not been getting off the nest at all so today I lifted her off the nest and put her outside. The eggs were covered in wet feathers and what looks like dirt. I really don't think it is poop because she hasn't gone in her pen. The straw underneath the eggs was wet. I have no idea how it got like this as it was fresh as soon as she decided to sit. I cleaned it out and placed fresh in the nest. Are the eggs ruined? I won't be able to candle them until tonight. I don't have back up eggs for her right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom