Broody Hen Thread!

My broody had a bad day today. A snake got into our coop and my son got her and the nest out but she only had 3 eggs left.
hit.gif

My husband killed a snake last night in our other cope. Not sure why we have had so many snakes lately. Wish i knew how to keep them away.
I just heard on another thread that ammonia poured around the perimeter works to keep them away. I am going to try it because we have rattlesnakes and one of my dogs died from a bite.
hit.gif

Hope things go better for you.....
Marie

My broody had a bad day today. A snake got into our coop and my son got her and the nest out but she only had 3 eggs left.
hit.gif

My husband killed a snake last night in our other cope. Not sure why we have had so many snakes lately. Wish i knew how to keep them away.
My condolences, we had the same thing happen with our first broody. We actually had two bullsnakes attack her nest within week or so and she lost 4 or 5 eggs and even got struck in the head and lost some feathers defending her nest. We caught both of them in the act and moved them far away. She only had two eggs hatch from the eleven that she started with.

This time around, we put the broody hens in a raised coop and haven't had any issues with snakes. We are fending off the skunks right now. Thy will eat any eggs they can find and actually kill the broody if she won't get off the nest. Don't ask me how I know this. :-(

frow.gif
Hello! Novice in need of help please - advice on probable staggered hatch

My broody started incubating eggs and i never noticed for a few days and the other hens were laying more eggs on top of her. I candled the eggs and removed the least developed. Was left with 4. Just removed one quitter, so now have 3. It's been over 2 weeks now and the chicks are filling most of the eggs. I'm not sure exactly what date to expect them to hatch, because i never noticed when she started incubating them and because the eggs are possibly a day or two apart. One of the chicks looks like it's in the air cell, but i'm not sure. The other two have clearly defined empty air cells flat on the bottom, and i can see a little more space between the air cell and the chick. The air cell of the other egg is not flat on the bottom, it's a more wobbly line going up the side, and i see pulsing movement in it, maybe it's head breathing?

So i think i'm facing the high probability of a staggered hatch. This is my first broody hen. I successfully incubated eggs last year. I'v been told the hen may abandon the eggs once the first ones hatch. My question is how likely is this? If this one egg is ready to hatch a day or two before the others, is she highly likely to abandon the others? Or it's possible she will continue to sit on them till they hatch too? I'v only got 3 eggs there, i'm hoping they all make it!

Also, is it possible to give the hen more day old chicks from another flock, will she adopt them? My father in law suggested buying more chicks to add to our 3. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

I just candled the egg again and i heard tweeting!! So the chick is definitely in the air cell and close to hatching. The other two eggs still have a bit of space left between the air cell and the chick. I'm really hoping she sits to hatch all 3!

My hens sat for two weeks hatching out 12 chicks. After the first week, I put them together. But they were determined to hatch out those eggs. They were both first time broodies.

I just candled the egg again and i heard tweeting!! So the chick is definitely in the air cell and close to hatching. The other two eggs still have a bit of space left between the air cell and the chick. I'm really hoping she sits to hatch all 3!
If the eggs are within 3 days of each other then it is very possible she will sit for the 2 later hatchers...but have an alternate hatcher available just in case. I use a shoe box lined with an old kitchen towel, a thermometer and a heat lamp.
It is very possible to graft additional chicks to her after hers hatch, the best chance of it working is to use newly hatched adoptees and do it within a day or two of hers hatching. The less difference in ages of the chicks the easier it will be for them the first few weeks. even if the hen would adopt day old chicks after hers are 5+ days old the younger chicks would have trouble keeping up when the broody wants to get out in the yard to start teaching them how to forage...

hello all

we have about 5 broody hens, we were raising 20 chicks as soon as they hatched but the first two have died..

anyone give us some advice? as its happening currently this is kind of a rush..and our first time doing it this way.
any help? this is happening with all the hens now.. 7th chick is hatching currently..first 6 all died..

Back
Top Bottom