Broody Hen Thread!

Hi Everyone,

hope all is good and you're hens and cocks are doing just fine, especially the broody ones :)

i have a question about a broody hen i have at the moment, its been broody for about 3/4 days sitting on her eggs, but past 3/4 days she was in the coop with the rest of the hens, so today i moved her during the evening time just before they go in the coop to sleep.

ive heard stories of broody hens being moved in day light will not be broody anymore? so was just wondering if she would still sit on her eggs seen as i moved her to a another coop which is the brooder, am just wondering will she still sit on her eggs? or should i have done this at night?

someone help please?

thanks.

I have one hen that can be moved almost anywhere and will stay on her eggs, but none of the other ones take to being moved well and will get off the eggs. It depends on the individual.

Best of luck!
smile.png

Ok behavior question. My little broody hatchling who is 7.5 weeks old now just stands around and cheeps incessantly sometimes. Momma is right by her. She isn't being threatened. She just cheeps. Is that normal? Is it because she really has no age mates?

Ok behavior question. My little broody hatchling who is 7.5 weeks old now just stands around and cheeps incessantly sometimes. Momma is right by her. She isn't being threatened. She just cheeps. Is that normal? Is it because she really has no age mates?

That doesn't sound normal. She may be too hot, too cold, sick, or injured. She may also be somewhat lonely, though cheeping constantly is a sign of a problem.

It's not necessarily constantly. She goes through bouts of it. Heat could definitely be a factor. It's been miserable here.

This is my silkie x broody.She has nine eggs underneath her.The eggs are currently starting to hatch and I'll post pics of her with them in a couple of hours.

Hi Everyone,

hope all is good and you're hens and cocks are doing just fine, especially the broody ones :)

i have a question about a broody hen i have at the moment, its been broody for about 3/4 days sitting on her eggs, but past 3/4 days she was in the coop with the rest of the hens, so today i moved her during the evening time just before they go in the coop to sleep.

ive heard stories of broody hens being moved in day light will not be broody anymore? so was just wondering if she would still sit on her eggs seen as i moved her to a another coop which is the brooder, am just wondering will she still sit on her eggs? or should i have done this at night?

someone help please?

thanks.
Some of the advice recommends that you should only move a broody hen during the night because the hen is more docile and therefore more likely to accept the move. I have only made changes to a broody at night. The disadvantage of a night time move is that if it doesn't work, you are more often than not asleep! However it is the experience of many other chicken keepers that some broody hens will accept being moved during the day. The advantage of a day time move is that you can more easily monitor the hen's reaction to the move!

I guess if it doesn't work you can try it again in a few days at night?

We are in southwest Missouri. It rained this morning so it cooled off for a bit but then the sun came out and up went the humidity.

Back
Top Bottom