Broody Hen Thread!

She a beautiful Delaware I a have one about 5 months old.. How many eggs does she have?
Thanks! We have three Delawares and I love them, wish I'd ordered more when we got these!

She doesn't have any eggs under her yet, I was making sure she was going to stick before I gave her any, but she's been like this for about a week now, so I'm going to set 6-8 eggs under her in the morning.
big_smile.png

Thanks! We have three Delawares and I love them, wish I'd ordered more when we got these!

She doesn't have any eggs under her yet, I was making sure she was going to stick before I gave her any, but she's been like this for about a week now, so I'm going to set 6-8 eggs under her in the morning. :D

Yay what breed are u giving her or these will be barn yard mix

I would leave her in there until day 20 and I would block the nest after a a baby or two hatch then move her that's what I did with my Rhode Island Red
Justin 24:

Umm. This is a tricky one. I presume that you moved her during the day?

Lots of people recommend making any changes or adjustments with broody hens when it is dark because hens are more docile and less likely to move.

If you are getting the eggs today then she might be best staying in with the flock if that is where she is happiest and it will not require another relocation for her. Just keep a close eye on things, mark your eggs from the store and remove all other eggs from her nest box on a daily basis.

Let us know how you get on...

Y
Justin 24:

Umm. This is a tricky one. I presume that you moved her during the day?

Lots of people recommend making any changes or adjustments with broody hens when it is dark because hens are more docile and less likely to move.

If you are getting the eggs today then she might be best staying in with the flock if that is where she is happiest and it will not require another relocation for her. Just keep a close eye on things, mark your eggs from the store and remove all other eggs from her nest box on a daily basis.

Let us know how you get on...

Yes I moved her during the day and I actually do it wit all my broody hens with no problems

Those will be beautiful birds I m looking for some cuckoo hatching eggs local to Memphis so I can pick up I had no luck wit shipped eggs
He's such a great roo. I'm happy to have chicks from him. He's great with even the youngest chicks and a very even tempered boy. I'd recommend CM's to anyone!

I had a mix Cm x RIR that was big and beautiful it was a hen with a nice chocolate brown egg
Nice! I've heard the hens lay dark brown eggs. I only have a CM roo right now, but I'd like to add some girls to the flock.

He's HUGE! I don't know if CM's are naturally very large, but he's a really big guy.

Back
Top Bottom