Broody Hen Thread!

candle them...if there are live chicks you should be able to see some movement...listen to them...the little ones peep inside the shells before hatch...(you probably know that already)...some set the egg in a bowl of warm water and float candle them...if you watch closely if the chick is alive you should see the egg move in the water.....she may be able to hear the chicks, might be why she keeps going back to the eggs....most of my broodys just up and abandoned the remaining eggs as soon as the live ones hatched....I built a special broody cage, just big enough for the nest and an area attached big enough for water and food...and a good stretch..so the broody can't abandon the last eggs until I let her out

You can poke a tiny hole in the air sack end (candle first of course) and take a peek. If you see movement, the chick is still alive. I always check and then open up the egg to reassure myself that i'm not throwing away a viable chick.

I had a broody abandon 9 eggs when the first one hatched early. I tucked them into the incubator, and hatched 8 of them. Of course then I had to raise them, but hand raised Araucanas are really sweet little birds, and I didn't want to abandon them at that point. They were only in the incubator a couple of days. Which reminds me, I need to fire up the incubator and get it stabilized -- my broodies are due Sunday.

What about your brother? I would let her do her thing.. You always get cute chicks!

I don't think he's quite ready for more eight now. He wants to get his gargantuan run and coop built before he adds more. His new barred rock roo is settling in with the 2 girls he has really well. Even gave the hawk cry when he had them out the other day. Who knows, maybe if she hatches some he'll change his mind.

I have a broody Cochin I'm planning to breed. Trying to find a roo of a different breed. So exciterd!
jumpy.gif

I've enjoyed reading through this thread. So many cute stories and pictures.
Here's my story, how the broodies can succeed in spite of the meddling human LOL!

I have 2 Silkies. Wanted to add another hen or two to my flock because I always worry that something would happen to one of the silkies and then I would have one lonely chicken. I didn't want more silkies because I've pretty much lost patience with the CONSTANT broodiness of these two girls. Luna went broody late July so I purchased 6 fertile eggs locally. Lady said I should wait until night and slip them under. I figured she would be thrilled to have the eggs so gave them to her as soon as I got home. She rolled them right underneath herself, one happy camper. A week later Nyx went broody and then I had the two of them trying to sit in the same nest. I was afraid the eggs would get broken so I made a 2nd nest but neither wanted to sit on the 2nd nest even with eggs in it. I ended up having to separate the hens, each with 3 eggs. Not a convenient arrangement but luckily the weather was very warm so I had one hen in the coop and one hen locked in the run.
They hatched 5 of the 6 eggs and after a couple of days I let them both share the coop again. Everyone is getting along just fine. The chicks seem to view both hens as their mother and they stick close to one or the other at random.

This is my favorite photo so far

Here's a recent picture, the chicks are about 2 weeks old

Two of the golden chicks are mille fleur leghorns, one golden and one black are supposed to be ameraucanas, they came out of blue eggs.
The grey chick is a mystery. It's supposed to be a mille fleur leghorn but I can't find photos anywhere online of a grey one so I'm wondering if it's an egg mix up.
Here's a better photo of the grey chick if anyone has any ideas. Sure is a cute thing!!!
This little one was the first to hatch.

This has been an exciting experience for a relatively new chicken lady. I've only had chickens since last year.

I've enjoyed reading through this thread. So many cute stories and pictures. Here's my story, how the broodies can succeed in spite of the meddling human LOL! I have 2 Silkies. Wanted to add another hen or two to my flock because I always worry that something would happen to one of the silkies and then I would have one lonely chicken. I didn't want more silkies because I've pretty much lost patience with the CONSTANT broodiness of these two girls. Luna went broody late July so I purchased 6 fertile eggs locally. Lady said I should wait until night and slip them under. I figured she would be thrilled to have the eggs so gave them to her as soon as I got home. She rolled them right underneath herself, one happy camper. A week later Nyx went broody and then I had the two of them trying to sit in the same nest. I was afraid the eggs would get broken so I made a 2nd nest but neither wanted to sit on the 2nd nest even with eggs in it. I ended up having to separate the hens, each with 3 eggs. Not a convenient arrangement but luckily the weather was very warm so I had one hen in the coop and one hen locked in the run. They hatched 5 of the 6 eggs and after a couple of days I let them both share the coop again. Everyone is getting along just fine. The chicks seem to view both hens as their mother and they stick close to one or the other at random. This is my favorite photo so far Here's a recent picture, the chicks are about 2 weeks old Two of the golden chicks are mille fleur leghorns, one golden and one black are supposed to be ameraucanas, they came out of blue eggs. The grey chick is a mystery. It's supposed to be a mille fleur leghorn but I can't find photos anywhere online of a grey one so I'm wondering if it's an egg mix up. Here's a better photo of the grey chick if anyone has any ideas. Sure is a cute thing!!! This little one was the first to hatch. This has been an exciting experience for a relatively new chicken lady. I've only had chickens since last year.
Congratulations!!! They all look fine and healthy....who knows about the gray chick...that's the fun of it...watching the change as they grow...I look upon my chicken run as a feathered aquarium....it's fascinating to watch them "Flowing" about doing their chicken thing....I can watch for hour....or until the bugs come out...Enjoy them.

Congratulations!!! They all look fine and healthy....who knows about the gray chick...that's the fun of it...watching the change as they grow...I look upon my chicken run as a feathered aquarium....it's fascinating to watch them "Flowing" about doing their chicken thing....I can watch for hour....or until the bugs come out...Enjoy them.

That's a good analogy, I like it.

Quote:
Nice description. I especially like watching the new mothers teach their babies about the world, and then watching them grow up. I get tired of my perpetual broodies, but I never tire of watching the chicks.

Well, looks like she's adamant. Even tried to fluff up at me when I gathered eggs today. Guess I'll give her the few I saved just in case and let her keep what's laid over the weekend. I'll definitely be marking the ones she keeps so I can gather any extras. Who wants barnyard mixes in southwest Missouri?

I just found my first broody of the season!!
1f604.png
(We're in Australia so it is just into spring). She is our biggest hen in the flock, our Light Sussex, and I can't wait for her to hatch some eggs. We got our rooster a little over a month ago so the eggs should be fertile. This is my second broody ever (had one last year) but her first time. Can't wait to see how everything turns out!!
1f603.png
1f604.png

I just found my first broody of the season!!
1f604.png
(We're in Australia so it is just into spring). She is our biggest hen in the flock, our Light Sussex, and I can't wait for her to hatch some eggs. We got our rooster a little over a month ago so the eggs should be fertile. This is my second broody ever (had one last year) but her first time. Can't wait to see how everything turns out!!
1f603.png
1f604.png
We've had quite a few broodys this year and it's exciting every single time! Please keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom