Broody Hen Thread!

I thank ALL of you who have responded to my query. I posted another same thread because I didn't think my post went through.. I couldn't find it. YET, here it is today?
So, this to PD Riverman... how do you stop the broody behavior? Put her in a bare wire cage for several days. Just touch them? I must be missing something. I physically removed her and locked her out of the coop forcing her to free range out with the other girls last time she went broody. It went on for more than a month [7wks] that last time. THIS time, I put the balls in and have just ignored her... I feel bad about that but have given up. New baby chicks arriving at Feed store this week.. I may try the baby thing, but can not do 3 more... I wonder if one wont be enough to make her stop sitting? One would be enough.

So, this to PD Riverman... how do you stop the broody behavior? Just touch them?

I wonder if one wont be enough to make her stop sitting?
LOL, no my touch is not that good. I have alot of hens and have alot of broodies, I set 67 last year and broke many of several different breeds and have never had a problem breaking them. I kept needing a broody breaker cage so I built 3 broody cages to put them in. I attached them on the outside wall of the coop about chest high so I did not have to worry about other chickens pecking their feet etc while they were in it. I also use these cages for a hurt chicken etc. Broody hens go into these wire bottom hanging cages for 3 Full Days---no bedding on the floor, just hanging trays for the food and water. I can never recall one remaining broody after 3 "FULL" days----I never shorten that time---2 days does not work for some. So if you put one in on Wednesday, 3 full days will be Saturday.

Any wire bottom cage will work as long as the wire in the bottom is not to big for their feet. The cage has to be elivated---hanging is best but you can set it on 4 bricks/blocks as long as you do not allow the bricks to be under it----just slightly under the edge. If they were under it she can lay on them through the wire and probably stay broody. I do this as soon as they start---in the early days---been in the nest 2/3 days-----usually they will be back laying a few days after being broke. Try it the next time you want to break one and let us know how it worked.

Last edited:
I can attest to the fact that it does work. My Aggie fitst went broody back in December, a week before Christmas. After trying to dissuade her by keeping the eggs picked up and pushing her off the nest, I finally went to a broody buster cage. Mine is a 2X2 wired puppy or small dog cage and it worked quite well. 3 days and she was back to normal....until February, which is why I want to add one thing. She might not stay broke. Aggie didn't. Two months later she was back being broody and this time I let her have her way, mainly because the weather was cold enough that I didn't want to leave her alone in a cage over night.

How often does this happen? Anybody know? Are the hens subject to hormonal surges like female cats when they experience heat that cause them to repeat their broody state until they get to incubate and raise chicks? Sure seemed to be the case with my Aggie.

Day 20..Jill's eggs didn't hatch. She took over another nest thankfully cause the young one didn't stay broody and wanna set...so day 30 for her. 7 more eggs to go. Fingers crossed. Must put incubator on list for backup
1f423.png

How often does this happen? Anybody know? Are the hens subject to hormonal surges like female cats when they experience heat that cause them to repeat their broody state until they get to incubate and raise chicks? Sure seemed to be the case with my Aggie.
It must vary somewhat from hen to hen. Most of my hens have never gone broody. I have one hen that has only gone broody once in her lifetime (Too bad, she was a great mother). I had another hen that typically went broody about twice per year until "Mr. Fox" got her. Then there's her daughter who seems to go broody at the drop of a hat, no matter how many times a day I collect eggs. It feels like I spent all of last spring, summer and fall breaking her time after time. She's broody again right now. This time I gave in and ordered her some eggs to set off ebay. I just picked them up from the post office a few hours ago. After giving them some time to settle, I plan on setting them under her later tonight.

I put my hen that's been broody for two weeks into a large, 54 gallon tote and gave her 4 babies from the feed store. After they are settled, I'd like to move them to a larger brooding area. When do you think it would be safe to move them without upsetting the momma? Thank you!

I put my hen that's been broody for two weeks into a large, 54 gallon tote and gave her 4 babies from the feed store.  After they are settled, I'd like to move them to a larger brooding area.  When do you think it would be safe to move them without upsetting the momma?  Thank you!

Usually once a hen has chicks which she is bonded to she is easy to move, I would observe the behavior of the chicks also, wait to move them till after you see them voluntarily get out from under her and roam a few moments and the get back under on their own...I prefer they be at least that mobile because the hen may move around a bit to find her preferred nest spot in the new area and the chicks will need to be able to follow her.

Usually once a hen has chicks which she is bonded to she is easy to move, I would observe the behavior of the chicks also, wait to move them till after you see them voluntarily get out from under her and roam a few moments and the get back under on their own...I prefer they be at least that mobile because the hen may move around a bit to find her preferred nest spot in the new area and the chicks will need to be able to follow her.
Thank you so much, fisherlady. I appreciate the help!
1f600.png

It must vary somewhat from hen to hen. Most of my hens have never gone broody.

It feels like I spent all of last spring, summer and fall breaking her time after time. She's broody again right now. This time I gave in and ordered her some eggs to set off ebay. I just picked them up from the post office a few hours ago. After giving them some time to settle, I plan on setting them under her later tonight.
Some breeds never or rarely go broody. In over 25 years I have never has a RIR go broody, but I always sell them by the time they turn 2, so I do not know if they would have as they got older. I also so far have never had a white-leghorn go broody either. Rarely a barred rock, again I never keep them past 2 years old.

I put my hen that's been broody for two weeks into a large, 54 gallon tote and gave her 4 babies from the feed store. After they are settled, I'd like to move them to a larger brooding area. When do you think it would be safe to move them without upsetting the momma? Thank you!
Did she accept the chicks?? Some hens would kill them.

Back
Top Bottom