Broody Hen Thread!

@PD-Riverman The only cross I've done previously is with the silkie x japanese bantam. I didn't know at the time that legs would give me the sex but out of 5 I had 4 with dark legs and one with yellow. Ended up with 4 girls and a boy. Boy's name is Mr. Obvious simply because he was obvious at 2/3 weeks.
My research says any barred female with a non barred male produces black sex links. Boys with barring gene so the white dot, girls without so no dot.

Anyone feel free to jump in and correct anything as I'm not experienced at all with any of this. Just going off what I've read.

I never done any barred breeding other than Barred rock rooster or breeding for black sex-link. True True bred black sex-links --male has a spot and female does not. Barred crossed with other breeds---will not produce black sex-links but I have no idea what the outcome would be. Adult Sex-links will not breed true sex-links----so I did not know where you were with that as far as leg color etc.

@PD-Riverman
This is the paragraph. ...

When we breed a barred hen to a solid color male, her daughters do not receive the barring gene but her sons do get one dose of barring. As day-old chicks, males carrying a barring gene will have white on their heads while their sisters without will be solid black.

Off of this site

http://countrysidenetwork.com/daily/poultry/chickens/understanding-sex-link-hybrid-chickens/

That brought me to the conclusion I did about my barred hens and solid color male.

Yep, I did copy and paste this from your link, because a lot of people try to breed sex-links in hopes of getting sex-links.

Are They a Breed?

Because sexlink chickens do not produce offspring that look and produce as [well as] they themselves do, they are not breeds. They simply do not fit the definition of a breed. So what are they? Since they are the result of crossing two (or more) breeds, they may only be termed crossbreeds.
So if you have a sexlink chicken and you wonder what breed it is—it is not a breed but a crossbreed.

I have a blue bantam hen that has dark legs..she picks her 'man of the week' from a boy from the Bachelor pad and hangs out with that roo until she finds someone different the next week or so..when she picks my spare Norwegian roo, her male chicks hatch with a large white blot on top of their head and they have a red tint to the head..girls are hatched with small white dot or none at all and have blue or black heads..
Haven't noticed a difference when she's covered by the silkie in chicks but of course they're both dark legs..
She was with a splash polish this past week so we shall see what those chicks turn out like but I think the only sex links I'll get from her will be from the NJ boy

I have a blue bantam hen that has dark legs..she picks her 'man of the week' from a boy from the Bachelor pad and hangs out with that roo until she finds someone different the next week or so..when she picks my spare Norwegian roo, her male chicks hatch with a large white blot on top of their head and they have a red tint to the head..girls are hatched with small white dot or none at all and have blue or black heads..
Haven't noticed a difference when she's covered by the silkie in chicks but of course they're both dark legs..
She was with a splash polish this past week so we shall see what those chicks turn out like but I think the only sex links I'll get from her will be from the NJ boy

You do realize that it can take 2 or 3 weeks sometimes longer for a hen that's been with one rooster-----to get cleaned out so his sperm has no effect on the future eggs layed. So if she is with one this week and a different one next week-----it will be mixed.

You do realize that it can take 2 or 3 weeks sometimes longer for a hen that's been with one rooster-----to get cleaned out so his sperm has no effect on the future eggs layed. So if she is with one this week and a different one next week-----it will be mixed.

Yep ;)
I just hatch all her eggs and when they hatch are banded by dad...she is my wild woman, and doesn't not stay in any pen, fence, etc.. Silkie has only gotten one egg so far, Norwegian seems to be her main squeeze and have had a couple end up with funky crests.. the eggs don't get sold or anything so I just let her do her thing..

The Fluffy Butts have started to arrive!
celebrate.gif

The fluffier one, closer to Mom - Chubby, hatched last night. My youngest daughter said she found a open blue green egg. So I imagine that was from Chubby.
The smaller one, Nicole, hatched early this morning - by 6am, my daughters were telling me we had 2 chicks.

Chubby likes to climb on Mom. Both have feathered feet, and are yellow legged.
The eggs Ramin hatched 2 years ago, all had black feathered feet, 2 had the 5th toe. Hank was the daddy of all those chicks.
Hank & his brother Cotton, both have black legs and feathered feet, their Daddy was a pure Silkie (all black).

What I am trying to figure out is, I had 2 Easter Egger eggs, I tossed one out last night, it was ice cold, and no sound coming from the egg.
Ramin has had that egg to the back side of her for over a week, if I saw it out from under her wing, I would push it back under her. Guess she knew it was not good.

Because Nicole looks like a chipmunk, could it be that Lollie's Mama was a Easter Egger? (Questions, questions, more questions)
2 eggs were Lollie's - she is half silkie and half not sure (had Buff Orph, New Hampshire Reds, Easter Eggers and Buckeyes, when she was born)
I know the Mama of my head Rooster & his brother, was a Buff Orph, I saw the eggs they came out of, and they were a totally different color from the NH Red and Buckeyes..
And the last 2 eggs were Ramin's.

Just waiting to see what happens in the next 24 hours, because I am not sure if all the eggs were set at the same time. Ramin went broody on Sunday April 10th, and was in the corner of the coop, till Tues. night, April 12th, when I moved her inside. And Lacy & Star were both trying to lay eggs on top of Ramin, Monday & Tuesday, but they are both Easter Eggers, and those eggs are now done.
Ramin is still on lock down, will shift, and turn, but has no desire to get up yet. But she knows she still has eggies under her.

So I now await the fate of 3 more eggs!
fl.gif

My broody hatched one chick. The chick is a cream legbar. None of the other eggs hatched. Mamma is taking good care of her and showed her how to eat and drink today. I am wondering if I need to go get another baby chick to put with them or will my single chick do okay with just Mamma. Has anyone ever had this happen? We have 9 other year old hens and some 8-10 week old chicks. We have never hatched before. I know having one in a brooder isn't good and he/she would be lonely. But what about one being raised by a hen?

Back
Top Bottom