Broody Hen Thread!

Well, here it goes. I have 4 chicks in my incubator to dispense tonight to 3 broody hens. The BO will by the lucky recipient of 2 chicks and the others will get 1 each. It is a less then ideal situation, so my fingers are crossed that it all works out.

4 little fluffs stuck their heads out when I checked this morning. They aren't even due until tomorrow but with bantam eggs you never know when they'll start. :D Can't wait until she gets up and I can see how many hatched.

4 little fluffs stuck their heads out when I checked this morning. They aren't even due until tomorrow but with bantam eggs you never know when they'll start.
big_smile.png
Can't wait until she gets up and I can see how many hatched.

Love broody hens! Go Mama

Hey guys! I'm pretty new to BYC and backyard chickens as pets and I have some questions about broody hens. First off, at what age can they start going broody. Also, how long does it usually last? I think my black australorp went broody a couple weeks ago, but I'm not sure. Are they known for being broody?

Hey guys! I'm pretty new to BYC and backyard chickens as pets and I have some questions about broody hens. First off, at what age can they start going broody. Also, how long does it usually last? I think my black australorp went broody a couple weeks ago, but I'm not sure. Are they known for being broody?

They can start anytime from about a year to whenever. Some never do and some never seem to stop. It varies by breed and individual chicken. Has your BA been stuck to a nest pretty much 24/7 for 2 weeks? If yes she probably is broody and either needs eggs or to be broken soon. There is lot's of advice here on how to break her but the most common I've seen is a wire cage lifted up off the ground so she can't warm things up underneath here for a week or so. If you just leave her she may stay put too long and begin to affect her health.

Thanks for the info! She was broody a few weeks ago and yes, for about two weeks (maybe less). She did have eggs and came out to eat and drink occasionally. Whenever we went near her on the nest, she growled at us!

Back
Top Bottom