Broody hen vs "fake broody"

docdubz

Songster
5 Years
Nov 24, 2016
Central Texas
I have a lot of hens that pretend to be broody. They set up a nest and sit on it for a day or two and then abandon it. And then, I have my broody hen that has hatched chicks and takes such good care of them that its adorable. The only difference Ive noticed is the broody has always had a remarkable personality, very inquisitive, doesnt take off running if I try to pet her and directly asks for food if she wants some. The "fake broody"s have zero personality and wait to be fed.

I could have just gotten lucky and my favorite hen wound up being the one to go broody but Im wondering... Have any of you have noticed hen personality impacting whether or not they go broody?

I have had hens start to go broody, then give up on it, only a couple of days later REALLY go broody. It has taken me years to get the wisdom to WAIT to put eggs under her. I would immediately run to the house, put eggs under her, have her quit, and then when she get serious, I don't have a clutch to use.

But right now I have two sitting tighter than ticks with as much personality as day old dish water. But they have turned into ferocious waiting mamma's willing to take your arm off at the elbow. They are on their nest, I have never seen them off of it. And once last week, they were both on the other's nest, but today, back on their original nest. I have two empty nests between them.

They are so mean, I made a nest on the floor for my two layers and they are using it.

Mrs K

I have one sassy little Serama hen that is a little moody naturally, each and every day on a normal basis. She'll attack my feet whenever I'm walking if she gets the chance (bite or peck and sometimes while holding on proceeds to stomp my foot, only to squat in submission IMMEDIATELY after). Whenever she's broody, we better watch out! She's a biter of anything that gets near her. Luckily she's never been a devoted broody and usually only sits on an empty nest for 3 to 4 days. During this time, she seems to be grateful for food brought to her but will bite as hard as she can once she's done. She still walks around growling and ticking for about 2 weeks total. This is the only hen that I have that acts like this. My hen that's hatched chicks is the sweetest and most gentle bird I have. The girls she raised are also the most sweet and gentle little hens. Luckily, my little Serama is only a pound and she can be sweet and loving, but I wouldn't let her raise chicks. My tried and proven hen will always be my first choice and she gives me many opportunities to hatch, but I don't need anymore right now. I've found that it's impossible to break her and I've tried so many times. She's a very devoted mama. I have to take special care of her whenever she's broody

Back
Top Bottom